Gonzalez Named Student Affairs VP Finalist Candidate at Texas A&M

Ruthie Braunstein/The Hoya Juan Gonzalez

Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Juan Gonzalez, has been named one of four finalists for the position of Vice President of Student Affairs at Texas A&M University. Although Gonzalez accepted a nomination to be considered for the position, he said that discussions about selecting a replacement for his position at Georgetown were premature.

Texas A&M University President Robert M. Gates will select a new vice president from the four finalists selected by a search committee. The three other finalists include Dr. Leelen Brigman, vice president for student affairs at the University of Wyoming; Dr. Charles Fey, vice president for student affairs at University of Maryland, Baltimore County; and Dr. William Kibler, associate vice president for student affairs at Texas A&M.

Gonzalez said that the decision to accept a nomination for the vacant position was difficult.

“I was nominated for this position. I actually resisted applying and received any number of calls from friends and colleagues about this wonderful opportunity,” Gonzalez said. “Members of their search committee were instrumental in presenting a very compelling case for Texas A&M. Ultimately, I did indicate an interest to be considered for their position.”

As Vice President for Student Affairs at Georgetown, Gonzalez reports to both the president and the provost and is responsible for providing leadership and direction for services to undergraduate and graduate students and for coordinating efforts between other student services offices, such as the Department of Public Safety and Residence Life.

Gonzalez visited Texas A&M from April 9 to 11, when the university played host to an open house for students to meet with Gonzalez.

Gonzalez said he is unsure when the university will make its decision. “I have been lead to believe I may hear within the next several weeks,” he said. “I am flexible to their time frame.”

Gonzalez, a nationally recognized educator and administrator, has served as both the chair of the Hispanic Caucus of the American Association of Higher Education and as a member of the Executive Board of the AAHE.

Gonzalez began at Georgetown on Aug. 7, 2000, after leaving a similar position at California State Polytechnic University at San Luis Obispo. Before working at Cal Poly, Gonzalez was an assistant to the President and vice president of the student affairs division at California State University at San Bernardino.