Gridiron Sees First Victory in Two Years

Georgetown displayed an overpowering running game and a stout defense Saturday to bury both the Davidson Wildcats and memories of the Hoyas’ frustrating 2009 season.

The Blue and Gray snapped a 12-game losing streak dating back to Nov. 12, 2008, with an efficient 20-10 season-opening win. The backfield trio of junior quarterback Scott Darby and running backs senior Philip Oladeji and junior Chance Logan provided the bulk of the Georgetown’s offensive production, combining for 180 rushing yards in the Hoyas’ first game under new Offensive Coordinator Dave Patenaude’s system.

“Coach Patenaude has a good offensive run scheme,” Head Coach Kevin Kelly said. “We’ve worked on that. We wanted to establish the run, and it helps your pass attack. It moves the chains and obviously keeps possession of the football.”

A worn-out defense in the fourth quarter has been a consistent problem for Georgetown in recent years. Through four seasons, Kelly’s squad has yet to average more than 28:33 time of possession. But Saturday the Hoyas dominated the ball, maintaining possession for 38:01 and outrushed the Wildcats by more than 100 yards.

Senior linebacker Pat O’Donnell gave the Hoyas their first great scoring opportunity late in the first quarter when he intercepted Davidson junior quarterback Matt Heavner’s pass at Davidson’s 41-yard line. Darby and Oladeji connected for a 36-yard pass on the next play, before Darby ran it in from three yards out to give Georgetown an early 7-0 advantage.

The Hoyas forced a three-and-out before embarking on a 54-yard touchdown drive, with every yard coming via the ground. Freshman running back Brandon Durham finished off the drive when he took his first collegiate carry on a reverse from the five and trotted into the end zone for a 14-0 lead.

Davidson had only recorded one first down midway through the second quarter, but a bruising 67-yard march late in the half saw the Wildcats notch six first downs en route to their only touchdown of the day. A three-yard run from senior running back Kenny Mantuo with 49 seconds left in the half reduced the deficit to seven points heading into the break.

Davidson outmaneuvered Georgetown in the field position game throughout a quiet third quarter as the Hoyas’ rushing attack struggled. In the quarter’s only big scoring opportunity, Davidson earned a first-and-goal from the five, but the Blue and Gray defense held strong, forcing the Wildcats to settle for a 22-yard field goal that cut the lead to 14-10.

The Hoyas rediscovered their offense and took control of the game on their first drive of the fourth quarter. Facing third-and-12 from his own 29-yard line, Darby hit freshman receiver Patrick Ryan for a 16-yard gain. Several plays later, Logan broke through for a 32-yard run that set up a 12-yard touchdown pass from Darby to sophomore receiver Jeffrey Burke. Junior kicker Brett Weiss failed to convert the extra point, but the Hoyas had regained the momentum and held a 20-10 advantage with 9:15 left.

“I think at the end of the third period we had some defensive stops and then we had that 10-play, 80-yard drive [that], in my opinion, iced the game,” Kelly said. “That was the difference.”

Davidson faced a fourth-and-eight from Georgetown’s 43 on the ensuing drive, but Georgetown senior linebacker Paul Sant’Ambrogio made a key tackle three yards shy of the first-down marker. An eight-play, 24-yard Hoya drive chewed up clock, and Davidson got the ball back at its own 12 needing two scores in the final 2:12. An interception by junior defensive back Wayne Heimuli with 1:14 remaining sealed the victory for the Hoyas, who won their opener for the second time in three seasons.

Darby finished the game with 14-of-23 for 130 passing yards and added 66 rushing yards on 17 carries, with a touchdown both in the air and on the ground. Most importantly, the junior – who was named the team’s starting quarterback last week – committed no turnovers at the helm of the Georgetown attack.

“[Darby], I thought, was really consistent,” Kelly said. “He made the right reads and he managed the game well, and we should see some big improvement between week one and two. I think he did a great job.”

Next up for Georgetown is a trip to Lafayette, the second leg of a season-opening three game road trip. The Leopards beat the Hoyas 28-3 at MultiSport Field last season, and the Georgetown coach knows his team faces a stiff challenge in Saturday evening’s contest in Easton, Pa.

“They’re an excellent football team: offense, defense, special teams,” Kelly said. “They’ve got great personnel and an excellent coaching staff. We’ve got to play a great game to beat Lafayette.”

Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.