Group of Students Reports Knife Threat

Five Georgetown students were threatened by two men brandishing a knife during a confrontation early Saturday morning, law enforcement sources said.

According to Darryl Harrison, director of the Department of Public Safety, the incident took place at about 3:30 a.m. Saturday in the Philadelphia Cheesesteak Factory at 3347 M St., when five Harbin residents encountered two men they did not know.

“There was some sort of verbal confrontation between these students and the two strangers that ended up escalating to a knife being pulled on the students,” he said.

David Morrell, vice president for university safety, said that the suspects chased the students up a hill before the students returned to campus and notified DPS of the incident.

DPS and the Metropolitan Police Department responded to the scene and took reports.

In a broadcast e-mail sent to the campus community Monday, university officials said that the students not been injured and added that the suspects had not robbed the students. It also said that witnesses were unable to describe the suspects to police.

Despite Saturday’s incident, there has been a decrease in the area’s reported crime over the last few months, MPD crime statistics show.

Overall, reported crime in MPD’s Second Police District, which includes Georgetown, has decreased by 14 percent since January and is down nearly 20 percent from this time last year.