GU Appoints Frank To VP Post

Georgetown University appointed Karen S. Frank to fill the newly-created position of vice president for University Facilities and Student Housing last Thursday, marking her 15th year of service at Georgetown University. Frank most recently held the position of executive director of facilities and student housing.

“Her promotion is in recognition of her hard work and dedication and ability to manage the complexity of Georgetown’s plans for future building projects as we develop the rest of campus over the next decade,” Assistant Vice President for Communications Julie Green Bataille said. “A new management process is being implemented, with Ms. Frank overseeing these efforts.”

Frank will help facilitate the coordination of capital project planning and management, according to an e-mail announcement sent by Senior Vice President Spiros Dimolitsas. He said he decided to create this position after several months of examining the structure of the University Facilities management process and 10-Year Plan.

“I’m pleased that Karen has assumed this exciting new responsibility,” Dimolitsas said in a press release. “Her vast knowledge of our university and her experience successfully managing large-scale campus projects will indeed be an asset as we plan for our campus’ future beautification and growth.”

Frank’s new responsibilities include integrating the University Architect’s Office into the Capital Project Planning and Management, with reference to the 10-Year Plan. She will also continue her supervision of Student Housing, Campus Activities Facilities, Parking and Transportation, Safety and Environmental Management, Facilities Management and Utilities and Energy Programs.

Frank has overseen many campus projects at Georgetown, most notably the redesign of the Leavey Center and the renovation of several on-campus residence halls.

Presently, Frank is managing the creation of the Southwest Quadrangle Project and overseeing the work of University-contracted Clark Construction. The new building will include a 780-bed residence hall, a 1,200 person eating facility, a new Jesuit Community residence and a parking garage, which is slated for completion in fall 2003.