GU Blanked for Fourth Time

The Georgetown field hockey team suffered another defeat on Wednesday, falling to Lehigh for its third loss in as many games. The Mountain Hawks (5-5-0) shut out the Hoyas 4-0, dropping the team’s record to 2-6-0 for the season.

Georgetown maintained a solid effort throughout the 70 minutes of play, but in the end Lehigh’s offense proved too much for the Hoyas. Lehigh controlled possession of the ball for the majority of the game, allowing the Hoyas only four shots on goal. The Mountain Hawks’ domination showed in their 17 shots, 13 of which were on goal. Sophomore goalkeeper Abby Winer came through for Georgetown, however, playing the whole game and totaling nine saves.

Lehigh was able to score four goals from four different players in the match. By the half, the Mountain Hawks were up 2-0. Senior forward Sheila Clabby scored in the 17th minute with an assist from sophomore midfielder Moira Garrity.

Freshman midfielder Christine Smith was also able to net one near the end of the first half. Garrity scored with a penalty shot in the second half and senior forward Kristi Miller finished off Lehigh’s scoring with one of her own in the 65th minute.

The loss was a tough game to finish off a tough month for Georgetown field hockey.

The Hoyas have had a slow first month of the season _ this loss marks three in a row for the team and six overall _ but they are looking to jumpstart the second half of their season this Saturday.

Hoping to get some aid from a hometown crowd, they face Lock Haven at noon on Kehoe Field.