GU Commemorates War Veterans

Students, alumni and faculty came together with military personnel on Copley Lawn Friday afternoon in a solemn ceremony meant to honor members of the university community who have fought in America’s wars.

The ceremony took place in observance of Veterans Day, which was Saturday.

Members of the Hoya Battalion, Georgetown’s Army ROTC division, stood at attention as the event’s guest speaker, onsignor William O’Donnell (C ’43, LAW ’53), recounted his experience as an American soldier fighting in Europe during World War II. O’Donnell, who was awarded the Silver Star and fought in the Battle of the Bulge, said that his time at war played a crucial role in molding his character.

“I have never forgotten my military service,” he said. “We learned to have confidence in ourselves, and we brought that back home after the war.”

O’Donnell said that his father had a strong influence on his interest in joining the army. Stories that he heard from his father, an army physician during World War I, taught him the importance of the military from an early age, O’Donnell said.

Allen Gill, professor of military science and director of Georgetown’s Army ROTC program, spoke of the significance of Veterans Day and the need to continue to honor Americans who have served.

“Our guest speaker has lived a life of selfless service which is rarely equaled,” Gill said.

Some in the audience were moved to tears when master of ceremonies Sgt. First Class Sean Robinson, an Army ROTC instructor at Georgetown, read the names of Georgetown students who died during World War II as taps played in the background. The reading was followed by the lowering and folding of the American flag by members of the Hoya Battalion.

James Astrue (SFS ’09), a cadet in the Hoya Battalion who helped lower the flag, said that the success of the ceremony was a testament to the level of cooperation between the ROTC program and Georgetown, noting that ROTC programs are not as well received at many other universities.

“I know at other schools the ROTC programs are run off campus,” Astrue said.

The turnout for the ceremony exceeded his expectations, he said, adding that the event reminded him why he had chosen to join the ROTC program.

“The ceremony reminds us why we do it,” Astrue said. “It also shows the rest of the university how many of us there actually are in the program.”

Joe Saboe (SFS ’07), a Hoya Battalion cadet, said he was happy with the turnout of the Jesuit community and other campus organizations, but said that there should have been more students in attendance. Saboe said he was satisfied with the message presented at the ceremony.

“I was pleased overall because there wasn’t a focus on politics and our current situation, but rather a focus on honoring the veterans,” he said.