GU Continues March to Postseason

The men’s and women’s track and field teams continued their run toward the postseason May 10 through 11 at the James Madison Invitational, picking up five NCAA provisional qualifications and meeting a host of East Coast Athletic Conference/Intercollegiate Association of Amateur Athletes of America (IC4A) marks.

The women’s team registered all five of the NCAA qualifications, led by a trio in the 1,500m run and two more in the 800m and 4x400m relay.

“At James Madison the approach was a little different than at Big East, because [rather than competing for a team title] we were just trying to run times,” Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Ron Helmer said.

Similar to the prior week at Big East, the 1,500m emerged as one of the most productive events for the Hoyas, as sophomore Treniere Clement (4:21.27), graduate student Emily Enstice (4:21.36) and junior Erin Sicher (4:23.26) all recorded NCAA provisional qualifications.

“That was a big PR for both Treniere and Emily, which puts them on the national list, and Erin wasn’t too far behind,” Helmer said.

Senior Tyrona Heath posted another NCAA qualifying performance, winning the 800m in 2:05.54.

“Tyrona [followed her victory at the Big East Championship with] another good run, and improved her time in the event by about a tenth of a second,” Helmer said.

The team of Heath, junior Jamillah Bowman and sophomores Kori Hamilton and Monica Hargrove picked up the fifth NCAA qualification, as the quartet combined to win the 4x400m relay in 3:38.54.

Bowman added an ECAC qualification in the 400m hurdles, taking third place with a time of 59.45.

The men’s team also enjoyed a productive meet, highlighted by multiple IC4A qualifiers in the 800m and 1,500m runs.

Sophomore Ali Najjar (1:50.45) and junior Ezra Richards (1:50.74) finished one-two in the 800m, while juniors Dylan Welsh (3:47.19) and George O’Loughlin (3:47.49) and senior Corey Smith (3:47.55) all placed within the top 10 in the 1,500m. All five marks met IC4A standards.

Junior James Graham also secured a spot at IC4A’s by crossing the line of the 400m dash in 46.98.

“I’m seeing signs that we’re ready to run very, very well next week,” Helmer said. “We have a shot at defending our [ECAC and IC4A] titles, and for the people who aren’t yet in the national meet, it’ll be another opportunity for them to run the times they need to get qualified.”

The ECAC/IC4A Championships take place May 17-19 in Princeton, N.J.