GU Continues to Improve as Postseason Races Loom

Georgetown is starting to peak at the right time.

At the Larry Ellis Invitational in Princeton, N.J., 11 Hoyas came away with NCAA East regional-qualifying times and eight others returned ECAC or Big East marks as well.

The Hoyas took the top-two spots in the women’s 5000-meter, as redshirt sophomore Melissa Grelli and sophomore Natasha LaBeaud both ran regional-qualifying marks. Grelli won the race by a full 35 seconds over LaBeaud and the rest of the field with a time of 16:24.02. LaBeaud finished in 16:49.33.

“Those girls did what they needed to do,” Director of Track and Field Ron Helmer said. “They got important regional marks and at this point running well is our team’s goal.”

Georgetown also had two regional times in the 800m with junior Ashley Hubbard and senior Nana Hanson-Hall improving upon their previous marks this season. Hubbard was second in 2:07.80, while Hanson-Hall was third in 2:08.78. Redshirt sophomore Maggie Infeld was seventh, qualifying for the Big East championships in 2:11.82.

Freshman Renee Tomlin was fifth in the 1500m in 4:27.54, another regional mark. Fellow freshman Kelsey Malmquist qualified for the upcoming conference meet with a time of 4:35.14. In the women’s 3000m steeplechase, junior Joanna Rodgers garnered an NCAA regional mark and a fourth-place finish in 10:44.88.

In Friday’s men’s action, the 1500m proved to be Georgetown’s best event of the day. The Hoyas had eight student-athletes post at least a Big East-qualifying mark, including three regional-qualifying marks. Sophomore Andrew Bumbalough, junior Matt Debole and redshirt freshman Levi Miller all finished in the top-10 and qualified for regionals.

“All those guys ran well,” Helmer said. “Alex Bean and Andre Laboy ran personal bests and picking up those regional marks is something we’re striving for.”

Senior Brian Dalpiaz improved upon his previous regional-qualifying mark in the 3000m steeplechase, finishing in third with a time of 9:01.75.

In other men’s results, redshirt sophomore Justin Scheid was third in the 5000m with a time of 14:18.20, while junior Scott Bastek was 12th in 14:45.13.

Saturday, the Hoyas picked up one NCAA regional-qualifying mark along with a couple of victories. Georgetown took the top-two spots in the women’s 4x400m relay, with the first-place quartet taking the title in 3:39.45, good enough to qualify for the East regionals.

Senior Ashley Mondie owned the other Hoyas’ victory, winning the triple jump in a season-best distance of 40 feet 2.75 inches. Junior Alex Baptiste was fifth with 37 feet 11.5 inches.

Bamigboye also had a successful day in the field events, placing fifth in the long jump with a leap of 18 feet 8. 5 inches, seventh in the javelin with a throw of 118 feet 8 inches and fourth in the 110m hurdles with a time of 14.83.

Maggie Infeld was second in the 800m on Saturday, qualifying for the Big East championship for the first time with a time of 2:12.46.

For the men, sophomore Terrell Gissendanner was third in the 110m hurdles,posting an IC4A-qualifying time of 14.53 and seventh in the long jump with a distance of 22 feet 6.5 inches.

Helmer said that he is content with the team, but hopes that the squad will improve in coming weeks.

“We’re OK,” he said. “We’ve still got time, but the next couple weekends are big ones. We’ll send a group to the Penn Relays, which is always a great event. The runners remaining on campus will be training hard for the Big East championships the following weekend.”

This weekend’s Penn Relays will be the biggest meet of the spring season. Over 50,000 fans will flood the University of Pennsylvania for the three-day spectacle, the largest spring event in the country. Georgetown will mostly send relays to the event, and the team’s excitement is tangible.

“Our strength is our middle distance relays, and we will send three to four relays for both the men’s and women’s teams and see how we stack up,” Helmer said.

Action at the Penn Relays begins this Thursday in Philadelphia.