GU Drops Season Opener to ‘Nova

Last year’s 3-15 season was a disappointment for the Georgetown field hockey team, and Monday’s season opener does not make 2005 look like it will be any better.

Despite having home field advantage, the Hoyas scored only once in their 7-1 loss to the Villanova Wildcats.

Villanova, now 1-0-0, was first to the scoreboard when senior captain Natalie Balthrop hit the net in the seventh minute of play, but the Hoyas (0-1-0) rebounded with their own goal only three minutes later, posting their lone goal of the game in the tenth minute.

Freshman midfielder Katie Lachman converted her first shot on goal in a collegiate game, capitalizing on an assist by fellow freshman forward Maggie Farrand.

“They are great finishers,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said of Lachman and Farrand. “Expect to see that all season.”

The goal proved to be the only one the Hoyas could produce off of six shots throughout the game, four of which were on goal.

The Wildcats went on to light up the scoreboard four more times before the end of the first half, leading 5-1 at the break, and added two more goals in the second half. Junior forward Megan Foster scored twice, while senior forward Rory Rogers also had a banner game with one goal and two assists. Villanova finished with 19 shots, 14 of which were on goal.

“We should’ve hung in there. The wheels fell off and we had a hard time getting back on track,” Carroll said. “Once we were off, we did not get back on, and that was the biggest issue.”

Junior goalkeeper Abby Winer had six saves for Georgetown, while two Villanova keepers managed a combined three saves. Freshman goalkeeper Deirdre Crovo saw her first action of the season on onday, posting one save in almost 22 minutes of play.

In addition to Lachman, Farrand, and Crovo, freshman midfielder Ashton Hospodar also played in the season opener. Though Carroll did mention the nerves running throughout the team during the first game, she said that “the freshmen set a great tone.”

Georgetown started two freshmen and five sophomores, including two sophomore midfielders, Lauren Gallagher and returning starter Deirdre McShea.

Carroll said that the team members have bounced back in practice since the loss, preparing hard for their next game on Saturday.

“The last couple days of practice have been great,” she said.

The Hoyas face Radford at 1 p.m. Saturday on Kehoe Field.