GU Drops Series to Davidson

The Georgetown baseball team’s first three-game series ended with a win and two disappointing losses to Davidson last weekend.

“We wanted to take at least two down there,” Georgetown Head Coach Pete Wilk said. “We didn’t get it done, so obviously I’m very disappointed.”

It took seven innings for the offense to warm up and score a run in the first game on Sunday, facing what Wilk called a Big East-caliber pitcher in junior Rob Wilson. Wilson gave up no earned runs and struck out seven in six innings in a game that the Wildcats won 10-5.

Meanwhile, sophomore left-hander Mike Gaggioli struggled on the mound, giving up seven hits and five runs in seven innings for his second loss.

The Hoyas rebounded to win the second game of the doubleheader, 7-4, for their first victory of 2006. Senior first baseman Ryan Craft slammed his first home run of the season, a solo shot, in the bottom of the seventh inning in a 3-for-3 effort on the game.

Senior righty Stephen Burns took the mound for Georgetown. Though he had trouble with his split-finger fastball, throwing five wild pitches, Burns earned the win despite surrendering four earned runs in four innings.

But Georgetown could not pull it together in the final game of the series on Monday, only managing a measly two hits against soft-throwing left-hander Brant West, a sophomore.

“It was disappointing, especially after the way we knocked the ball around [in the second game],” Wilk said.

But freshmen Darren Sizemore and Andy Ferich continued to provide Georgetown a reason to be optimistic with what Wilk called “dominant” performances.

Sizemore got his first collegiate save as he finished off the last three innings of the second game, allowing no hits while striking out three batters and walking none. The next day, Ferich also pitched three innings without any hits, adding two K’s.

“Andy gave us every chance to win. We just couldn’t come up with any hits,” Wilk said.

Wilk said that the two could see an opportunity to start soon.

Georgetown is now 1-3 on the young season. The three games were the first of the year for Davidson.

This weekend the Hoyas will play their first home games, playing host to St. Joseph’s for three games at Shirley Povich Field in Bethesda, Md. Saturday’s doubleheader starts at 1 p.m.