GU Dukes It Out to Win 2 of 3

The Hoya baseball team played two different games on Saturday, but the box scores were similar enough to provoke a double-take. Georgetown earned two 7-6 wins over visiting Duquesne, and they both featured pitchers named Sizemore on the mound.

Though Georgetown dropped the third game of the series by a score of 18-4, Saturday’s pair of victories gave the Hoyas (9-12) a lift as they try to get back to a .500 record. Duquesne, meanwhile, is stuck in a tough hole at 3-11.

“I think we’re kind of back on track towards being competitive and winning games,” said Warren Sizemore, the elder of the two Georgetown brothers.

Sizemore, working his way back to health after Tommy John surgery on his arm last year, put together five innings of work in his second start of the season.

Duquesne scored two runs right away, but the third inning was Georgetown’s biggest of the weekend. The Hoya lineup put together four runs to get on the board. Senior first baseman Ryan Craft doubled down the left-field line to bring home sophomore third baseman Matthew Bouchard and senior outfielder Timmy Jones for the third and fourth runs.

Sophomore second baseman Matthew Maranges followed that with a solo home run in the fourth inning. It was both his first home run of the season and his only hit of the game.

Georgetown plated two more runs in the fifth to make the score 7-3.

The Dukes cut the Hoya lead to 7-5 in the sixth and added another run in the seventh on senior shortstop Steve Maiolo’s RBI single, his third base hit. But the game ended abruptly when aiolo was caught trying to steal second during the next at-bat.

Duquesne actually outhit Georgetown 12-8 in that first game. The Hoya offense was inconsistent throughout the series, with no batter having more than one multi-hit game over the three games.

The defense for both teams struggled, too. There were 12 errors, six made by each team, in the three games.

Freshman Darren Sizemore started the second game for Georgetown. He had a rough time in his five innings, giving up four hits, three earned runs and three walks. Wilk said that it was probably his worst outing of the season but added, “That’s a good sign that his worst outing of the year we’re still winning.”

Sophomore right-hander Daniel Kennedy closed both of Saturday’s games for Georgetown, earning his second and third saves of the season.

Like the first game, Duquesne threatened to make a comeback in the final inning, but the Dukes’ two runs were not enough to overcome Georgetown’s lead.

“[Kennedy] was a little rocky but he got away with it,” Wilk said. “It’s the first time in two years I’ve ever seen him struggle with the strike zone.”

In this 7-6 win, the Hoyas finished with nine hits to the Dukes’ six. Bouchard went 3-for-3 that game, including two doubles and two runs.

Georgetown headed into Sunday’s game looking for a sweep, but Duquesne’s offense was unstoppable. This time the Dukes did not have to worry about scraping together a last-minute rally, as Duquesne put either two or three runs on the board in every inning, save the scoreless first. Wilk called it “organized batting practice.”

Oddly enough, there was only one home run in the 18-4 drubbing, freshman designated hitter Mike Carroll’s solo shot in the seventh. Seven hitters collected two or more hits, bringing the Duquesne hit total to 25 while Georgetown had 10.

“I was very disappointed. I was getting really hungry for that sweep and disappointed we couldn’t pull it off,” Wilk said.

Georgetown next goes to Annapolis, Md., for another game with Navy. Because of the threat of snow, the teams will face off on Wednesday instead of Tuesday, as originally scheduled. Hoya senior Stephen Burns will take the mound against the Midshipmen (16-6-1). Earlier this season, Georgetown defeated Navy 8-5.

First pitch will be at 2:30 p.m.