Georgetown University’s Newspaper of Record since 1920

The Hoya

Georgetown University’s Newspaper of Record since 1920

The Hoya

Georgetown University’s Newspaper of Record since 1920

The Hoya

GU Dumps Duke

Andreas Jeninga/The Hoya Junior attacker Sarah Oliphant’s unassisted goal opened Sunday’s contest against Duke. Georgetown outlasted its opponent to grab a 9-8 win and remain ranked second in the nation.

The Georgetown women’s lacrosse team eked out a close victory Sunday, extending its unbeaten streak to five games with a 9-8 win over Duke.

The Hoyas continued the trend of opening their scoring early when junior attack Sarah Oliphant put the Hoyas up 2-1. The unassisted goal came less than two minutes into the game. Georgetown has scored the opening goal of each of its last three games within the first three and a half minutes, and the team has never trailed.

Duke did, however, tie the score. Blue Devils junior midfielder Kristy Dirks found the back of the net about eight minutes later, but the Hoyas responded in their typical style. Juniors attacker Catherine Elbe and midfielder Lauryn Bernier each tallied a goal off free position shots, while senior midfielder Anouk Peters added two, putting the Hoyas up 5-1.

Peters had three goals on the afternoon, her season debut. One of the team’s three captains, she has been forced to lead from the sidelines thus far, as she sat out for the first four games recovering from a preseason ankle injury. Last season, Peters finished second on the team in both shots (78) and goals (31). Her return to the team brings her leadership back onto the field while also increasing the Hoyas’ already potent midfield threat.

With just over two minutes left in the first half, Duke freshman attacker Katie Chrest tried to rally her team back into the game, scoring an unassisted goal to make the score 5-2. The attempted comeback was put on hold, however, as time expired in the first period and the Hoyas took their three-goal lead into the locker room.

Duke’s scoring continued after the break when freshman midfielder Leigh Jester closed the difference to 5-3 before Georgetown answered. Peters and freshman midfielder both scored once in less than three minutes, regaining a four-goal lead.

Not to be outdone, Duke put in three consecutive goals. The first came as freshman attacker Kristen Waagbo connected with junior defender Stefanie Sparks. Just a minute later the Blue Devils scored on a free position shot, before Chrest hit senior attacker Corrine Broesler who was able to slip one past Georgetown goalie Sarah Robinson to make the lead 7-6.

Their lead threatened, Elbe and Chambers stepped up again for the Hoyas, making the lead 7-6 off one goal each. With 10 minutes remaining on the clock, though, Duke was not going to let Georgetown off that easy. They pulled to within one goal with only 30 seconds remaining.

Duke won the draw after closing in on the Hoyas’ lead, making the score 9-8. Passing the ball around the 8-meter arc, the Duke offense was stifled by the Hoya defense who stepped up and took away any shot opportunities. Time expired without the Blue Devils having taken a shot in the crucial last 30 seconds.

During Robinson’s time in goal for the Hoyas, she made five saves and gave up eight goals to her opponents. Blue Devil goaltender Megan Huether made 11 saves, eight in the first half. Georgetown’s shooting dropped from 15 shots in the first half to only nine in the second half, while Duke’s attempts doubled from seven to 14.

Duke also controlled five more draws than Georgetown, a factor that could have hurt Georgetown late in the game.

The Hoyas have a few days off before taking on No. 1 Princeton Friday at 4 p.m.

More to Discover