GU Ends With Tourney Loss to Miami

MEN’S HOOPS GU Ends With Tourney Loss to Miami By Julie Wood Hoya Staff Writer

The Georgetown women’s basketball team ended its season on arch 2 with a loss to Miami in the first round of the Women’s Big East Tournament. The 69-52 loss left the Hoyas with a final record of 12-16, 4-12 in the Big East.

Freshman point guard Mary Lisicky led the Hoyas with 19 points on five three-pointers. Her long-range shooting broke the Georgetown all-time record for three-pointers in a single season. Lisicky’s 76 surpassed the record of 74 set by Colleen Hanrahan in the 1994-95 season.

The Hoyas, who were seeded 12th, started off well against the Hurricanes (19-11, 10-6 Big East), the No. 5 seed in the tournament. They ran out to a 22-11 lead in the first 12 minutes of the game. But in the next six minutes, the ‘Canes responded with an 11-4 run. A Lisicky three-pointer put the Hoyas up 31-30 at the half.

But in the second half, the Hoyas’ play took a turn for the worse. Miami quickly took the lead, with junior guard Meaghan Saake capitalizing on a Hoya turnover for a fast break layup. The Hoyas had 12 turnovers in the second half and didn’t help themselves by shooting 23.1 percent from the floor. Miami turned many of those turnovers into quick baskets, outscoring the Hoyas in fast break points 10-0. Miami also won the rebounding category of the statistics, grabbing 43 to Georgetown’s 39.

Hoya leading scorer sophomore forward Rebekkah Brunson was limited to just five points in the game. “She’s a great player. Our entire team worked hard and when you work hard, you’re able to shut down great players,” ‘Canes sophomore forward Chanivia Broussard said in the postgame press conference as reported by Bigeast.org. Brunson was 2-for-9 from the floor and had five rebounds.

“On any given day, a team’s best player can be off and other players have to step up. We need to get more of that in the future,” Head Coach Pat Knapp said in the postgame press conference.