GU Expects Depth to Pay Dividends vs. Central Michigan

After a couple of successful road trips to start the season, the Georgetown Hoyas (2-0) return home Saturday and look to continue their hot start against the Central Michigan Chippewas (1-0). A 74-63 win at Jacksonville State in the season opener and an 83-42 victory at Brown provided valuable experience for the young Hoyas, but they are more than happy to return to the friendly confines of the McDonough Gymnasium.

“We are excited about coming home this weekend,” Coach Terri Williams-Flournoy said of the team’s home opener. “I’m glad our freshmen got some experience on the road but it’s nice to be in our own gym.” And with good reason – last season, the Hoyas struggled mightily on the road, but defended their home court with a record of 11-3.

The up-tempo style the Hoyas have played thus far this season should continue against the Chippewas. With Central Michigan visiting Howard on Friday night and Georgetown utilizing a 14-player rotation, a fast-paced gamed could pay dividends by wearing down the Chippewas. The key will be for the Hoyas to take care of the ball. “Turnovers really hurt us [against Brown] but that is something that comes with playing an up-tempo game,” Williams-Flournoy said.

Junior guard Britni Houghton put up 27 points on 11-14 shooting in Central Michigan’s opener and provides the Chippewas’ greatest scoring threat. Coach Williams-Flournoy isn’t worried though. “We play against some of the best athletes in the country in the Big East, so we have faced talented scorers in the past,” Williams-Flournoy said. “We won’t change our game plan and we’ll continue to play our style of pressure defense.”

Tip-off is scheduled for 3 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 22.in McDonough Gymnasium.