GU Forward Out For Season

Bad news struck the Georgetown women’s basketball team earlier this month when it learned that sophomore forward Nok Duany would miss the entire season due to a torn ACL. Duany started nine games for the Hoyas as a freshman last season and finished as the team’s third leading scorer (8.0 points per game) and second leading rebounder (5.1 rebounds per game).

Over the summer, Duany represented Georgetown on the Big East Women’s Basketball All-Star squad as the team toured Vancouver and Victoria, British Columbia, in a six-game tournament. Duany averaged 5.2 points per game and 2.5 rebounds per game as the All-Stars won five of six games.

“It’s unfortunate,” said Head Coach Pat Knapp of Duany’s season-ending injury. “But it’s something we’re able to cope with. We happen to be deep at the [forward] position.”

In Duany’s absence, the Hoyas will rely heavily on newcomers Rebekkah Brunson and Zsuzsanna Horvath, who stand 6-foot-2 and 6-foot-3, respectively. Knapp holds high expectations for Brunson especially.

“Becky will prove to be an outstanding player in the Big East,” he said.

Horvath will debut for the Hoyas this season as well. The sophomore attended Georgetown last year, but NCAA transfer rules sidelined her for the season. At Central Florida Community College, Horvath averaged over seven points and seven rebounds per game.

Senior Nathalie Bourdereau and sophomore Santia Jackson will also help fill the void left by Duany’s injury. Last season, Bourdereau averaged 9.6 points per game for the Hoyas, but was often on the court at the same time as Duany.

Jackson will have an opportunity to earn more playing time this season as a result of the Duany’s injury. Jackson played in 19 games last season and had some shining moments early in the season. The then-freshman forward led the Hoyas in rebounds for three consecutive games during one stretch and was garnered a Big East Rookie of the Week award for her efforts.

The Hoyas will have their first opportunity to gauge the impact of Duany’s injury next Monday when they play host to EOS alvas-Sweden in their only exhibition game before beginning their regular season on Nov. 11.