GU Gets Double Wins Over St. Francis

SWIMMING GU Gets Double Wins Over St. Francis By Meredith cCloskey Hoya Staff Writer

Tim Llewellyn/The Hoya The Hoya women improved to 6-1 on the season with their win over St. Francis.

The Georgetown women’s swimming and diving team improved its record to 6-1, defeating St. Francis College (N.Y.) and St. Francis University (Pa.) Saturday in a double dual meet, 66.5- 44.5 and 90-21, respectively. The men’s team easily downed St. Francis College, 148-70, extending its unbeaten record to 6-0.

After suffering a surprise loss to Duquesne last week, the Hoyas appeared more comfortable in their home pool, according to Head Coach Beth Bower.

“The women swam much better than the weekend before. We always perform better in our pool. Swimming better away from our pool is something we need to improve on.”

Freshman Diane Foglizzo, the Hoyas’ only double winner, touched first in the 200-yard individual medley in 2:16.05 and the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:11.04. Junior Lauren oynihan also dominated her events, winning the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:45.58, and placing second in both the 200-yard individual medley and 500-yard freestyle with times of 2:20.17 and 5:23.90, respectively.

Senior co-captain Caragh Moynihan pulled in another win for Georgetown in the 100-yard butterfly, touching the wall at 1:00.45.

For the second-straight meet, Georgetown’s opponents did not have a diving team, allowing the Hoyas to take a commanding lead over both St. Francis squads. Although they have not faced considerable competition yet this semester, the performance of sophomore duo of Julianna Bonilla and Kathryn Harrison will send them to the NCAA qualifying meet in mid-March, requiring additional practice during spring break, well after the Big East and ECAC Championships that typically end the season.

The Georgetown men’s squad easily surpassed St. Francis College, placing first in every event, but the 50-yard freestyle. St. Francis’ Erno Tekauer edged out senior Chris Lengle by half a second. Lengle, however, redeemed himself in the 100-yard freestyle, where he and teammate sophomore Shodai Enters outpaced Tekauer to finish one-two with times of 48.04 and 48.72. Tekauer finished with a time of 49.38.

Enters also won the 200-yard freestyle, taking first in 1:48.83. Senior co-captain Will Miller followed closely behind him, finishing second with a time of 1:50.23.

The Hoyas dominated both long distance freestyle events, sweeping the 1,000- and 500-yard freestyle. Freshman Brendan Griffin led the pack in the 1,000, finishing first in a time of 10:03.25. Junior Jim McLaughlin and sophomore Edmund Caulfield followed him to round out the top three. In the 500-yard freestyle, cLaughlin swam the top time of 4:53.88. Griffin followed second and Caulfield, again, placed third.

Georgetown will face Big East foe Providence Saturday at 1 p.m. in Yates Field House. “The men’s undefeated streak will not be in too much danger,” Bower said. However, the women will face more sound competition.

“We would have won this meet easily first semester,” Bower said. “With the loss of four girls to study abroad and a loss of our depth in area, we’re going to have to work hard.”