GU Gets Off to Fast Start

Georgetown’s track and field teams showed early promise in their first events of the season this weekend, returning to the Hilltop with a handful of early IC4A and ECAC qualifying marks.

At the Bucknell Bison Opener on Saturday, senior Nana Hanson-Hall won the 1000-meter run just ahead of sophomore Avril Ogrodnick, who finished in second place. Both earned ECAC qualifying marks with respective times of 2:53.21 and 2:56.33.

Notching a pair of Big East qualifying marks and an ECAC mark, senior Kandance Ferguson finished third in both the 200-m, at 25.29 seconds, and in the 60-m dash, at 7.88 seconds. Ferguson also had a victory in the 4×400-m relay along with fellow seniors Hanson-Hall, Jayne Penn and Nichole Torpey, who combined for a time of 3:51.36, an ECAC qualifying mark.

The Hoyas also made a strong showing in field events. Senior Ashley Mondie finished first in the triple jump and second in the long jump. In the triple jump, her distance of 11.77 meters earned her an ECAC qualifying mark. Junior Alex Baptiste earned a Big East mark in the triple jump with her distance of 11.46 meters.

Penn won the 600-m run, with freshman Renee Tomlin finishing second behind her. They ran respective times of 1:36.82 and 1:36.93

“We had some great season-opening performances with lots of qualifiers,” said Ron Helmer, director of track and field and cross country. “These first performances aren’t at all indicative of where we’re going to be at the end of the season, but it’s great to have such great season openers.”

Torpey and junior Ashley Hubbard earned Big East qualifiers in the 400-m dash with respective times of 58.01 and 58.22.

A group of freshman sprinters made their debuts as Hoyas. Abigail Johnson was first among collegians and second overall in the 500-m dash with a time of 1:17.53, a Big East mark.

Sophomore Natasha Labeaud won the 5000-m run by a large margin, as she scored a Big East qualifying mark with her time of 17:38.87.

On the men’s side at the Navy Invitational on Friday, sophomore Terrell Gissendanner highlighted the competition with a second-place finish in the 55-m hurdles at an IC4A qualifying time of 7.62 seconds.

In the 55-m dash, sophomore Kenny Mitchell also earned an IC4A qualifying mark, with a time of 6.47 seconds. He had the top qualifying time in the preliminary rounds, but was disqualified from the finals.

“Our men’s team is young. Kenny and Terrell came back a year wiser and put out great performances,” Helmer said. “I like where we are at this point. Now it’s just a matter of going through the growing pains since we’re such a young team.”

The third IC4A qualifying mark came from the freshman quartet of Alex Bean, Danny Harris, Kelvin Hill and Sandy Roberts, who together finished third in the distance medley relay. They combined for a time of 10:16.13.

In other events, senior Stanley Lagrenade finished third in the 400-m dash with a time of 50.14 and returned to run with Harris, Bean and senior Kevin Ward in the 4×400-m relay team. The group finished fourth with a time of 3:20.45.

“Stanley did a great job on the relay,” Helmer said. “To split 48.5 at this point in the season is very good.”

Junior Brandon Bonsey opened his season in the 3000-m run with a time of 8:35.14, while freshman Daniel Gerber finished with a time of 8:43.28. Bonsey and Gerber finished in fourth and sixth places, respectively.

Both men’s and women’s teams continue their seasons during winter break at the Father Diamond Invitational at George ason University on Jan. 6.