GU Girls Show Skills on Gridiron

Although snow was on the ground and the temperature hovered in the 30s throughout the evening, there was football being played at Georgetown on Saturday night.

Kevin Kelly wasn’t on the sideline, the scoreboard was off and the main entrances to MultiSport Facility weren’t even unlocked, but members of all four undergraduate classes braved the elements and took the field for the annual Powder Puff flag football games, sponsored by all of the class committees. With several Georgetown football players, including senior captain Rich Hussey, serving as coaches, girls from the classes of 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 took to the gridiron and played a little pigskin.

At 7 p.m., the freshmen and sophomores squared off, and from the first snap of the game, it was clear that both teams had game plans they were looking to execute. Both quarterbacks were able to cope with a rock-hard, water-logged football and move their respective offenses through the air.

Leading by seven points in the closing moments, the sophomores allowed a long touchdown pass to even the score. With time for one more play in regulation, the sophomore offense walked to the line of scrimmage 45 yards from the end zone. Quarterback Ryan Crowe took the shotgun snap and was forced to roll to her left as wide receiver Christina Buckley, one-on-one with her defender, ran a simple go pattern down the left sideline. Crowe delivered her best pass of the night as Buckley used a double move to get behind the defense and haul in the game-winner with no time remaining.

For a follow-up to the evenly-matched freshmen-sophomore thriller, the class of 2011 took the field against the class of 2010 at 8:30 p.m. in what turned out to be a one-sided affair. Using misdirection and trick plays – including the Statue of Liberty more than once – the seniors proved to be a cut above on both sides of the ball. Led by the tenacious ground attack of Melissa Williams, 2010 cruised to an easy victory to close out the proceedings.

While Powder Puff football has become a yearly tradition on the Hilltop, this snowy installment should go down as a particularly memorable one for all involved.”