GU Golfers Battle Winds, Top Teams

The Georgetown men’s golf team knew that the competition would be tough at the Adams Cup of Newport. What it did not know was that Mother Nature would end up being its strongest foe.

Battling harsh winds throughout the two-day tournament held Sept. 26-27 at the Newport National Golf Club in Newport, R.I., the Hoyas golfed their way to a 13th-place finish out of a field of 16 teams.

“It was more of a grind and an endurance test than a golf tournament, but we are pleased with what we were able to accomplish,” Head Coach Tommy Hunter said.

Georgetown finished the tournament with a team total of 946, 51 strokes behind first-place Texas A&M. Senior captain Matt Myers led the Hoyas with a 15-over par 231 (78-77-76), which earned him a tie for 18th place individually. Junior Matt Busa tied for 25th place with a 17-over par 233 (76-79-78).

According to Hunter, the tournament would have been a challenge to Georgetown even without the fierce winds. Hunter described the Adams Cup as one of the premier golf events in the United States and said it featured some of the best teams in the country, including Texas A&M and second-place finisher North Carolina.

“For us even to be invited to this event was an honor,” Hunter said.

The difficulty of the course itself also contributed to the relatively high scores. At 7,244 yards, the course was unusually long, and the greens were extremely fast, according to Hunter.

Despite the strong competition and severe conditions, Georgetown was able to hang around the middle of the pack through the first two rounds of play. After the first round, the Hoyas were tied for seventh place with a team score of 317. After shooting a 310 in the second round, Georgetown stood in ninth place. The Hoyas struggled to finish well, however, posting a team score of 319 in the final round and dropping four slots in the standings.

Although Hunter said he was disappointed with the team’s performance in the final round, he said he is confident that the golfers will make adjustments for future events. “We learned a lot about finishing golf tournaments,” Hunter said.

The Adams Cup was the second tournament that Georgetown has participated in this fall. The Hoyas finished 18th out of 19 teams at the Mid Pines Intercollegiate Tournament, held Sept.12-13 in Southern Pines, N.C., which also featured some of the country’s elite golf teams.

Georgetown’s next tournament is the William & Mary Invitational Oct. 3-4 in Williamsburg, Va.

The Georgetown women’s golf team was also in action this past week. The Hoyas finished fourth out of 17 teams at the Princeton Women’s Invitational, held Sept.24-25 at Springdale Golf Club in Princeton, N.J.

Georgetown posted a two-round team score of 635, 59 strokes over par and 30 shots behind first-place Princeton. The Hoyas shot a 24-over par 312 in the second round, an 11-stroke improvement on their first-round score of 323 and the third lowest team total for the day.

Georgetown had three golfers finish in the top 20. The Hoyas were led by Junior Maggie Ward, who finished in ninth place with a 12-over par 156 (82-74). Senior Christy Larrimore shot a 13-over par 157 (79-78) to finish 15th, and sophomore Katie Dwyer tied for 17th with a 16-over par 160 (79-81).

The Princeton Women’s Invitational was Georgetown’s second event this fall. The Hoyas began their season Sept. 10-11 with a third place finish at the Notre Dame Invitational in South Bend, Ind.

The Georgetown women will compete next at the Yale Invitational in New Haven, Conn., Oct. 1-2.