GU Hikes Undergraduate Tuition 5.5 Percent

The University Board of Directors voted last week to raise undergraduate tuition by 5.5 percent, outpacing the rate of inflation.

Undergraduates will pay $37,536 for the 2008-2009 academic year, up from this year’s $35,568. Tuition has increased by more than $7,700 in the last five years.

In addition, housing and meal plans rates will rise by 5 percent. The cost of a 14-meal plan will increase from $3,600 to $3,780.

embership fees for Yates Field House will also be raised 5 percent. With tuition, housing and fees included, it will cost more than $50,000 to attend Georgetown next year.

The board also raised graduate school tuitions, with Medical Center tuition going up 3.5 percent from $39,958 to $41,356, and Law Center tuition rising 6.8 percent from $39,390 to $42,065.

The trend of rising tuition is typical for private four-year colleges and universities, according to a report released by the College Board last year. In the 2006-2007 school a tuition costs rose by an average $1,404 – a 6.3 percent increase since the previous year.

According to university spokesperson Julie Bataille, the growing cost “reflects the reality that many of our operating expenses continue to increase at rates higher than inflation.” She cited utilities, technology and financial aid as the main sources of these growing operating costs.

“Georgetown remains heavily tuition-dependent to cover operating expenses, largely due to the fact that we began fundraising much later than our peer institutions,” Bataille said.

“It is important to realize that while tuition rates have increased, Georgetown’s overall financial plan also makes strategic investments that provide exceptional academic programs and services,” she said. “Georgetown remains committed to fulfilling our historic commitment to meeting the full financial need of undergraduates and has increased institutional support for financial aid in order to do so.”

Increasing support for financial aid will be one of the main priorities of the next capital campaign, Bataille said. Georgetown’s Annual Fund and the Georgetown Fund are two main sources for campaign funding.

The previous capital campaign lasted from 1997 until 2003, and earned $1 billion. Current plans for the next capital campaign are to raise approximately $1.5 billion in priority areas including faculty support, financial aid and facilities, she said.

Georgetown accepts undergraduates on a need-blind basis and has an admission policy to meet the full demonstrated financial need of eligible students.

Georgetown covers the cost of this policy in its annual operating budget, Bataille said. The university’s annual expenditure for student financial aid is now about $57.1 million – a spending rate that has increased more than twice that of tuition over the past decade, according to Bataille.

The Office of Financial Services could not be reached for comment on the tuition increase.