GU Hosptial Fails to Identify Longtime Honduran Patient

Georgetown University Hospital is calling on the public to help identify a patient who has received treatment for the past several months but cannot communicate with hospital personnel.

The man, who is thought to be in his late 40s and whose name is unknown, was discovered with a severe head injury in a cemetery in ontgomery County, Md., in March.

Marianne Worley, media director for GU Hospital, said that the man was in a Montgomery County hospital before he was transferred to an intensive care unit at the hospital on March 25 for treatment.

“We have an intensive neuroscience department . and it was clear that he needed pretty intensive brain surgery,” Worley said. She added that the man, who is receiving Medicaid, underwent two surgeries at the hospital, one in March and another in July.

Worley said that the patient does not speak English but understands Spanish and is believed to be from Honduras. He has not been responding to questions about his identity.

Worley said that the hospital has sent out press releases and continues to seek public help in identifying the man and finding his home. She said the man has a court-appointed guardian who approved the public statements released by the hospital.

“His court-approved legal guardian approved the publicity and said that he needs a family,” she said.

She added that the man “deserves to have people who care about him with him.”

Worley said that while hospital officials and local police have not been able to confirm the man’s identity, the hospital has already received several leads with sources coming from Montgomery County, Northern Virginia and Central America.

The Montgomery County Police Department is already involved with the search. In a public statement released yesterday, Melanie Hadley, the department’s spokeswoman, said that the county police have been working to locate his home.

“We’ve been trying to find relatives of the man,” Hadley said in the statement. “We’ve even gone into our missing person files, but we haven’t found a match.”

Worley said that the man is “medically ready to go home” and she feels confident that with the public’s help, hospital officials can find his home.

“He will find a friend or a family member, somebody who can lead to his identity,” she said. “He is really ready to take the next step.”