GU Knights of Columbus Win International Award

The Georgetown University Knights of Columbus Council No. 6375 was honored with the 2002 Outstanding College Council Award at a conference last weekend at the Supreme Headquarters of the Knights of Columbus in New Haven, Conn. Judges ranked the Georgetown council as the best of the 160 college councils across several countries on the basis of their commitment to “church, community, council, family and youth.”

“Georgetown was selected as a result of the depth and quality of their [service] programs,” Robert J. Ennis, head of the panel of judges for the award, said. “Their programs were unique, well thought-out and enjoyed the participation of a large percentage of the council membership.”

The Georgetown Knights have planned and participated in dozens of service projects, including assistance at the NorthWest Pregnancy Center, Urban Oasis and the Lt. Joseph P. Kennedy Institute for the Developmentally Disabled. Last December, the Knights organized a drive where Christmas lights were sold and trees used by Georgetown students were donated to the community.

“Most impressive is the dedication, exuberance and devotion the Hoya Knights exhibit in their service of others,” Col. Charles H. Gallina of the D.C. Knights of Columbus State Council said. “They serve as an inspiration to all of us.”

Gallina called the Knights’ assistance to the Kennedy Center “a truly remarkable achievement.” The Georgetown council refurbished a group home on Chestnut Street and rose over $1,300 – more than any other area council did. .

Stephen Aguilar (COL ’05) said volunteering with the Knights was one of the best experiences he has had at Georgetown. “The most fun is the service projects. We spent 12 hours at Urban Oasis planting crops and weeding,” he said. “We look back and we’re proud of serving the community and promoting Catholic ideals.”

The Outstanding Council award also recognized the Georgetown Knights for their spiritual activities. The Knights instituted 24-hour Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament in Dahlgren Chapel, organized a Veteran’s Day Mass and organized the Crucifixes in the Classroom Committee at Georgetown a few years ago.

The Georgetown Knights have helped organize Catholic events on campus such as the Cardinal O’Connor Conference for Life and Jesuit Heritage Week. The award also recognized the Georgetown Knights for the fraternal aspects of their group. To District Deputy and Past Grand Knight Stephen Feiler (COL ’02), the Knights is a group where many strong friendships are formed. “Looking back, becoming active in the Knights was the best decision I made during undergraduate years,” Feiler (COL ’02) said. “There is a very tight-knit community in the Knights. There is something very special about a group of men bonded by shared faith, values and interests, and this is one of the greatest strengths of the Hoya Council.”

At the New Haven conference, Supreme Knight Carl A. Anderson commended the membership of the Georgetown Knights, which reports 147 members today. Although founded on April 6, 1972, the Hoya Council became dormant by July of the following year. Thirty-two members reinstituted it in 1990, and membership has grown ever since.

The Knights of Columbus was founded by Rev. Michael J. McGivney in 1882 as a group of Catholic men committed to the ideals of “charity, unity, fraternity and patriotism.” The Knights identify themselves as Catholic men committed to faith and service in their community. Today, the Knights are the largest lay organization in the Catholic Church, totaling 1.6 million Knights in over 12,000 councils worldwide. The Knights of Columbus report that worldwide, their councils give approximately $110 million to charities and 55 million hours of service a year.