GU Men Are Runners Up At Big East Championships

The Georgetown cross country team turned in a slew of impressive performances at the Big East cross country championship, on Saturday at Franklin Park in Boston.

The men just missed defending their 2003 Big East crown as they tallied up a close second place with 48 points right behind winner Notre Dame, who had 47 points. Providence took third place with 52 points, followed by Villanova in fourth place with 65 points. Notre Dame secured the win as they placed their top four runners in positions six through nine.

“We ran well and we ran tough,” Coach Pat Henner said. “Of course there’s a bit of disappointment, but it doesn’t take away from the performances.”

For the second year in a row, the individual champion was from Villanova, as sophomore Bobby Curtis took first. Three seconds behind him was Georgetown’s top finisher, sophomore Chris Lukezic. Curtis and Lukezic covered the 8,000-meter course in respective times of 23:26 and 23:29. Georgetown senior Rod Koborsi crossed the line behind his teammate, garnering a third-place finish in 23:39.

“I was really pleased with Chris and Rod, they ran tough, and very aggressive,” Henner said. “They both ran to win the race and came in second and third with really fast times.”

Lukezic’s time was the fastest-ever run by a Georgetown runner on that course. It was also the third-fastest time ever run by any athlete on the Franklin Park course.

In an impressive team performance, the Hoyas placed their five scorers within the top 16 spots. Senior Chris Esselborn was the next Hoya to cross the finish line. He captured 12th place in a time of 24:10.

“He ran a really aggressive race and I was really pleased with how tough he ran his race,” Henner said.

The final two scorers to round out the top five were juniors Fleet Hower and Steven Meinelt, who ran in 15th and 16th places with identical times of 24:25.

The women’s performance was equally as impressive as they turned in great races at the individual level as well as the team level. Providence won the women’s title with 42 points, while Notre Dame was second with 67. Villanova earned third with 84 points, and Georgetown garnered fourth with 121 points. West Virginia was just one point behind Georgetown in fifth.

“This was a good step forward for the women. It gave them a chance to really run a good race,” Director of Track and Field and Cross Country Coach Ron Helmer said.

Senior Nicole Lee again led the team with an eighth-place finish. She covered the 6,000-meter course in 20:34.

Not far from Lee, freshman Maggie Infeld finished in 13th place with a time of 21:05. Junior Erin Henry was the next Hoya to cross the line. She clocked 21:53 for 27th place overall.

Freshmen Melissa Greilli and Jenny Funk rounded out the Hoya point scorers as they placed 36th and 37th places respectively. They were given identical times of 22:19.

“Our three freshmen girls – Maggie, Melissa and Jenny – are the right spark this team needs,” Helmer said. “They put us back in the hunt for trophies at national meets.”

As the women’s team continues to improve and dismiss some of the early-season critics, the men are rounding out into top form for championship season. Both the men and women aim their sights at the NCAA regional meet on Nov. 13.

Building upon their successful Big East performances, these next two weeks of training will be crucial to both teams’ chances as the regional meet.