GU Near Perfect Against Towson

Georgetown tennis came about as close to perfection as possible this weekend, as both the men and women’s teams turned in dominating performances at Towson. In the first dual matches of the year for both teams, the men won 6-1 while the women swept the Tigers 7-0.

The Georgetown men started strong by winning all three doubles matches. Senior Mark Lohser and sophomore Eric Bildman overpowered Towson’s duo of junior Chris Rowland and sophomore Todd Nagel, 8-1. Junior Dennis Cravedi and freshman Brooks Lindsay beat Towson juniors Dan Selzer and Matt Shore, 8-5, while senior Chris Kindler and sophomore Chad Milhalick secured the doubles points with an 8-2 decision over freshmen Mike Edison and Ittai Dvir.

Hoyas continued to have their way with Towson in singles play. Senior Troy Crichlow, Georgetown’s top singles player, efficiently handled Selzer, 6-2, 6-0. In the second singles match, Lohser faced a rematch against Rowland. In the closest singles match of the day, Lohser came out on top, 7-6, 4-7, 6-3. Cravedi won his match against Shore 6-0, 6-2, while Bildman and Kindler both claimed 6-0, 6-1 victories against Nagel and Young, respectively. Georgetown’s lone setback of the day was Lindsay’s sixth single loss to Towson’s Doug Ferguson, 7-6, 6-3.

The women were even more impressive at Towson than the men, as they did not lose a single set en route to a 7-0 victory. The top doubles team of sophomores Lydia Bartell and Trina Snow triumphed over Lindsay Brown and Emily Weichert, 8-5. Junior Jordan Botjer and sophomore Monisha Ghia easily defeated junior Sarah Dumansky and senior Stacey Pignatelli by an 8-1 margin. Georgetown’s third pairing of sophomore Liora Gelblum and junior Stephanie Sutton made it three in a row with their 8-3 win over Towson freshmen Jill Spiritus and Morgan Sugar-Butter.

Towson never had a chance to come back against the Hoyas, as Georgetown’s strong singles play left the Tigers reeling. Gelblum crushed Brown in the first singles match with an impressive 6-1, 6-0 win. In second and third singles, Bartell and Snow both beat their opponents 6-1, 6-1. Botjer won her fourth singles match, beating Spiritus 6-2, 6-1. In the closest match of singles play, Sutton still managed a convincing 6-3, 6-3 victory over Sugar-Butter. The Hoyas finished a highly successful duel match series with a sixth singles win by Ghia, who prevailed against Pignatelli, 6-1, 6-0.

The women’s team seeks to keep its momentum through to this weekend’s ECAC Invitational Team Championship, Oct. 11-13 at Flushing, N.Y. The men’s team will compete at Duquesne Oct. 19 in Pittsburgh.