GU Plans More Security Reforms

After an LXR resident reported being sexually assaulted at gunpoint last month, administrators plan to develop long-term dorm security reforms over the summer, including evaluation of the university’s contract with its hired security firm and an increase in the number of Department of Public Safety officers.

In a town hall meeting immediately following the incident, Rocco DelMonaco, vice president for university safety, said that he would review the university’s contract with Securitas Services, which has been responsible for security on East Campus since 2005.

The current contract with Securitas still remains in place, though, according to university spokesperson Julie Bataille.

“Georgetown will need to continue to use contract security staff to supplement our DPS officers, and Mr. DelMonaco has made clear the expectations we have for those employees while on site,” she said.

Campus safety officials were quick to address some short-term safety concerns that students raised immediately after the incident. At least one more DPS officer began patrolling the East Campus since the assault, a broken GOCard reader was fixed and several doors that did not lock were repaired.

DelMonaco said in the earlier meeting that an important step in the university’s bolstered campus safety plan is to hire additional DPS officers. The increased DPS patrols in East Campus were the result of a shift in current officers’ routes, though, not the hiring of new officers, Bataille said.

In addition, Bataille said that the university has yet to name a new DPS director to replace Darryl Harrison, the current director, who is leaving at the end of this month.

Bataille said that DelMonaco and Vice President for Student Affairs Todd Olson are creating a group of senior-level administrators slated to meet after commencement to discuss residence hall safety and determine what changes need to be made over the summer.

“They’re convening representatives from units across the university that could play a role in addressing this issue – ranging from facilities and residence life to DPS, university safety and public affairs,” she said.

Olson said he did not yet have specifics of what would be discussed or who would serve on the board, but he stressed that it would be a comprehensive discussion of residence hall security at Georgetown.

Shane Hickey (SFS ’10), one of the few LXR residents still living in the building, said that he has seen visible improvements to the building since the incident.

“The most noticeable change has been DPS officers walking the floor every hour or every 40 minutes checking to see if the doors were locked,” he said.

Hickey also added that all the doors leading to the courtyard were now locked and that he has been asked to swipe every time he enters LXR. He added that he feels safe in the residence hall, where he will live again next year.

“I think the university has taken the appropriate actions,” he said. “It comes down to individual responsibility at this point.”

Securitas officials could not be reached for comment.