GU Posts Top Finishes at PSU

As the bulk of Georgetown’s track and field team remained on campus this weekend to train, a handful of runners competed at the Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup, hosted by Pennsylvania State University.

Freshman Terrell Gissendanner turned in a top performance as he raced to an IC4A championship qualifying time in the 60-meter hurdles. Gissendanner placed fourth in a season-best time of 8.15 seconds.

“Terrell is hurdling better and better and he’s moving up in the Big East rankings and can get some points for us now,” said Ron Helmer, director of track and field and cross country.

The Hoyas also took home two first place finishes in the men’s and women’s 600m run. Senior Chris Bonner sped to a personal best time of 1:18.33 for the win. Senior Stanley Lagrenade finished third in the race crossing the line in 1:20.17.

Sophomore Ashley Hubbard finished with a time of 1:31.35 for the top spot in the women’s race while freshman Christine Whalen was just behind in 1:33.25, good for fourth place.

“I was really impressed with both of these races,” Helmer said. “Chris’s race was effortless and just made it look easy.”

Freshman Kenny Mitchell improved upon his season’s best time in the 200m with a time of 21.92. Other notable performances were in the 400m races. In the women’s race, junior Nichole Torpey and sophomore Alex Baptiste ran season-best times of 57.46 and 57.70.

In the men’s race, senior Jared Jenkins and junior Kevin Ward clocked times of 50.44 and 50.49, respectively.

The Hoyas next prepare to compete at the Big East championships Saturday in Akron, Ohio.