GU Ranks Second in Foreign Studies

A recent survey of university professors nationwide ranked Georgetown University as one of the top universities for graduate programs in international relations.

The survey, conducted by researchers at the College of William and Mary in August, asked 1,084 university professors and experts specializing in foreign relations to name the top five universities with master’s and Ph.D. programs in international studies.

Georgetown ranked second among nationwide master’s programs for students pursuing careers in foreign service and 14th among international Ph.D. programs.

Johns Hopkins University ranked first for master’s programs with 65 percent of the responses to the survey, followed by Georgetown University in second with 62 percent and Harvard University in third with 47 percent.

John Kline, director of the Master’s of Science in Foreign Service program, said Georgetown’s ranking in the survey is a reflection of the quality of the university’s international studies programs.

“We are pleased with the results,” he said. “It’s recognition that this program has high standings within the academic community.”

The survey did not mention a specific master’s program at Georgetown, but was based on the overall perception of universities with programs in international studies. The Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service offers master’s degrees in regional studies, security studies and science in foreign service.

Kline attributed Georgetown’s high rankings to the reputation of the international studies program, the quality of students and a strong faculty composed of permanent and adjunct professors with real-world experience in diplomacy.

Kline said that Washington, D.C., also has much to offer students enrolled in master’s programs at Georgetown.

“The Washington area is the place to be when studying international relations,” he said. “It gives students the chance to integrate experience in the classroom with the international community.”

Kline said financial aid is an area he is working to improve for the MSFS program. More financial aid will make the program more competitive with peer programs like those at Johns Hopkins University.

“Right now the MSFS represents 23 countries, but there are so many areas of the world we cannot reach because of a lack of financial aid,” he said. “We want to do something about that.”

Kline said that despite the high rankings he will continue to work to improve the MSFS program.

“Our objectives are to maintain cohesiveness and quality of the students,” he said. “Are we pleased with the results? Yes. Would we like to be number one? Yes, and we intend to get there.”

Many Georgetown students said that the high rankings do reflect the quality of the university’s international programs.

“It’s exciting,” Jill Slutzker (SFS ’09) said. “It reaffirms we are studying foreign service at one of the best institutions in the nation.”

Kate Guerin (SFS ’08) said that Georgetown’s ranking of 14th in the survey for Ph.D. programs surprised her.

“I expected Georgetown to be in the top few considering how many programs there are at Georgetown that allow the in-depth study of international relations at every level,” she said.

Alex Iannaccone (SFS ’08) attributed the academic breadth and quality of professors to Georgetown’s prowess in the study of foreign relations.

“I do regional studies and I find that between the Arabic department, the history department, the theology department and the specialized centers you can definitely explore a broad range of topics in your discipline,” he said.

“The professors who are here are in D.C. for a reason and don’t shy away from talking about discussing relevant issues.”

The survey, conducted by Susan Peterson, Michael Tierney and Daniel Maliniak of the College of William and Mary, appeared in the August 2005 report “Teaching and Research Practices, Views on the Discipline and Policy Attitudes of International Relations Faculty at U.S. Colleges and Universities.”

The authors of the report were not available for comment.