GU Runners Hit Stride in Last Regular-Season Meet

The Georgetown cross country team ran a group of men this past Saturday at the Cavalier Open at Panorama Farms in Charlottesville, Va.,. Many of the top runners took the weekend off to train for the upcoming NCAA regional meet. The Hoyas who did race turned in solid performances, placing five individuals in the top 25.

Freshman Shane Young led the team performance, crossing the line in third place – second among collegiate runners – in a time of 25:46.30 for the eight-kilometer race.

Brad Yewer, running unaffiliated with any college, won the competition with a time of 25:04.70, while Dan Nally of William & Mary was second overall and first among collegiate runners with a time of 25:40.00.

Senior Nat Glackin and freshman Neil Guney ran respective times of 26:11.20 and 26:22.60 to place 10th and 16th overall. Sophomore Neil Grosscup was the next Georgetown finisher in 20th place at 26:43.10 . The fifth and final Georgetown scorer was junior Tim Erickson who finished the course in 26:53.20, good for 23rd place overall.

Both the men’s and women’s teams look toward the NCAA regional qualifying race next Saturday, which will decide their fates at the national meet. The regional meet will be held at Penn State on Nov. 13.