GU Sailing Claims Crown at Jesuit Regatta Last Weekend

Georgetown got a leg up on six other Catholic universities last weekend as the sailing team took the Jesuit School Intersectional in New York.

Georgetown won the regatta with 47 points, 13 more than second-place Fordham and 58 ahead of third-place Notre Dame. Fourteen races were completed on both days.

Senior skipper Berry Kurland and sophomore crew Jamie Loeks took first in the A division with 20 points. Fordham’s pair of sophomores Anne-Marie Martin and Jennifer Brandes were 14 points behind in second.

The Rams got the better of the Hoyas in the B division, with freshmen Mike Purinton and Georgia Doremus edging out Todd Breeden and Phillipa Fraumeni by one point.

Georgetown also competed at the Senators Cup, a MAISA-district event, taking fourth place out of 16 teams with a total of 145 points. Hobart and William Smith won the regatta with 103 points, followed by the U.S. Merchant Marines Academy with 120. St. ary’s College, which played host to the regatta in Annapolis, Md., came in third with 136 points.

In the B division, the pair of Hoya sophomores Zack Kavanaugh and Liz Rapp took second with 40 points, but their A-division counterparts strained to make the top five. Georgetown senior skipper Kyle Bergeron and junior crew Theresa Salerno finished the regatta with 95 points. Navy ran away with the victory in the A division as junior Gary Grimes and freshman Kristen Sproat finished with 48 points, 15 ahead of Hobart and William Smith.

The Laser Qualifiers South regatta was the final event on tap for the Hoyas last weekend. Georgetown Head Coach Mike Callahan said last week that he hoped junior Langdon Mitchell would finish in the top three, which would have qualified him for the singlehanded conference championship, but he came in ninth with 132 points. Senior Trey Lord also sailed, taking the place of injured junior J.B. Turney. His 274 points placed him 17th of 18.

Prior to last weekend’s racing, the latest national rankings were released. Georgetown’s co-ed team dropped two places to seventh while the women fell from second to fifth. With the conference championship in sloop sailing coming up this weekend, the Hoyas look to improve in an event which usually proves difficult for the team. Callahan said in an e-mail message that the Hoyas are “as prepared as they’ve ever been” for the sloop regatta thanks to the guidance of first-year Assistant Coach Bill Ward (MSB ’96).

This weekend Georgetown will also play host to the Tom Curtis Regatta while the women’s team will travel to the West Coast for the Bryson Women’s Regatta in Stanford, Calif.