GU Snaps Eight Game Slide

The crowd in the stands could feel the change. The coaches could see it, the team could sense it and even the wind picked up on it.

The determination on Kehoe Field last Saturday was palpable and for the Hoyas it paid off.

The Georgetown field hockey team triumphed over Radford, giving the Hoyas their third win of the season and propelling them out of an eight-game losing streak.

“You could see it in their eyes,” Head Coach Laurie Carroll said of the victory. “I could tell before the game that they would be successful.”

Georgetown’s resolve led them to an overtime shutout of 1-0 over Radford, who is 5-8-0 for the season.

The Hoyas’ defense, led by junior back Caitlin Bump and senior back Caroline Cole, proved solid throughout regulation play and met the Highlanders in a defensive battle. Georgetown’s relentless offense pushed forward with six shots in the first half and five in the second half to outshoot Radford 11-8 in regulation play.

But the buzzer at the 70th minute found both teams scoreless, sending the match into overtime.

Georgetown stepped up offensive play in overtime, searching for every opportunity and forcing two more shots on Radford.

Senior midfielder Meghan Leahy was the first to hit the net off an assist by junior midfielder Megan Carroll, bringing home the first victory in nine games for the Hoyas.

Leahy was the driving force behind Georgetown’s offense all day, pushing four shots, two on goal.

“They had a fighting attitude from the beginning of the game.” Carroll said.

The Hoyas’ attitude was rewarded on the scoreboard with a final tally of 1-0, the team’s first shutout of the season.

The Hoyas could not bring the same determination back to Kehoe Field on Sunday, however, and they were defeated by Holy Cross in a game that found Georgetown on the losing side of a 5-0 shutout.

Georgetown played sound defense in the first half, allowing the Crusaders only one goal, but could not keep up the same effort in the second half, letting Holy Cross (8-6-0) capitalize on key scoring opportunities in the circle that resulted in four goals in the second half.

Sophomore Tara Welch and junior Jenna Cook scored two times each, leading the Holy Cross offense for the afternoon. Senior Christina Zorzi also proved useful for the Crusaders, posting two assists for the afternoon.

Holy Cross outshot Georgetown 18-1, with sophomore forward Jen Kosloski pushing the only shot on goal for the Hoyas.

The Hoyas hope that this weekend’s tally will motivate them to move past Pennsylvania next Wednesday. Georgetown will take on the Quakers at 4 p.m. on Kehoe Field.