GU Splits Two Games With Ranked Opponents

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – Playing at the University of Maryland is always a challenge for the Georgetown men’s soccer team. This weekend the Hoyas did not even play the Terrapins, but the team was still tested as it took on two top-25 teams in the aryland/Adidas Classic.

Facing off against No. 21 Virginia Commonwealth University and No. 4 Santa Clara University in the tournament, the Hoyas were able to come away with one win, upsetting the VCU Rams 3-1 on Friday but falling to the Santa Clara Broncos 4-0 on Sunday afternoon.

Coming off two victories in the D.C. College Cup, the Hoyas (3-1-0) got their first real test of the season on Friday night. In the opening round of the tournament, the unranked Hoyas shocked the Rams (1-3-0) with a come-from-behind 3-1 victory, the Hoyas’ third-straight win this year.

Virginia Commonwealth got on the board first with a goal from senior midfielder Brian Morris in the 62nd minute, putting the Hoyas behind for the first time this year. Georgetown did not panic and did what it does best: play defense. The Hoyas stayed within their game and in the closing 15 minutes their offense came alive. Freshman forward Richard Frank scored his first collegiate goal in the 77th minute off a misplay by the Rams’ keeper to tie the game at one all.

The score would not remain tied for long. A few minutes later the Hoyas took the lead when senior midfielder Benjamin Jefferson-Dow headed in a cross from fellow senior midfielder Brent Plumley to go ahead 2-1.

Junior midfielder Daniel Grasso finished off the Hoyas’ scoring in the 86th minute with an open-net goal.

The last time the Hoyas opened a season 3-0 was 2000, when the team went on to win four straight and earn a No. 13 ranking in the NSCAA poll. A 4-0 start was not to be for Georgetown this year, however, as Santa Clara (3-1-0) brought the Hoyas back to reality, handing them their first loss, 4-0.

The Broncos – themselves the victims of a 3-1 upset on Friday – were determined not to waste their trip to the East Coast. Hungry for a win, they took it to the Hoyas from the opening kickoff and within the first minute of play the Broncos had their first shot on goal.

Georgetown, whose defense has been stellar so far this season, was able to fend off the early attacks, but the Hoyas could not connect their passes or organize their offense, and the Broncos’ determination finally paid off. In the 29th minute, Santa Clara junior forward Erik Ustruck scored from the just outside the 18-yard box on a give-and-go with teammate senior forward Hector Guzman.

With the Hoyas still unsettled, the Broncos struck again. Only 43 seconds later, Santa Clara junior forward Keith DeVey headed a cross from junior midfielder Mehdi Ballouchy past Georgetown junior keeper Andrew Keszler to make the score 2-0.

Georgetown was able to regain its composure after the second goal, but Santa Clara was not done scoring. With only five seconds remaining in the half, DeVey took a shot from 35 yards out that snuck past Keszler for the Broncos’ third goal.

In the second half the Hoyas came out with a fire, controlling the game with a new offensive passion. But the Broncos were able to defend the onslaught, and the Hoyas could not find the net. The Broncos scored once more, on a shot from sophomore midfielder Matt Hatzke in the 52nd minute, to close the game 4-0.

“On Friday, we let Maryland create too many chances and it really cost us,” Santa Clara Head Coach Cameron Rast said, referring to the No. 12 Terrapins’ 3-1 victory over the Broncos, in a post-game press release. “Today we didn’t give Georgetown many chances to score, particularly in the first 75 to 80 minutes of the match. We were fortunate to grab a quick goal really late in the first half to go up 3-0. That took a little pressure off. Erik opened it up for us, Keith had a couple of goals, then Matt iced it.”

Junior forward Ricky Schramm continued to struggle on offense, managing just one shot on goal in the tournament. At this point last year, Schramm already had three goals, yet he remains scoreless thus far in 2005. With Schramm’s production down, it remains to be seen who will step up for the Hoyas and control the offense this year.

The Hoyas’ defense, despite giving up four goals to the Broncos, continued to be solid over the weekend. Defenders senior Jeff Curtin and junior Tim Convey were both named to the all-tournament team for their sound defensive performances. Jefferson-Dow was also named to the all-tournament team for his play.

With the loss to Santa Clara, Georgetown finished the tournament in third place. Last year in the Maryland/Adidas Classic, the Hoyas finished last after losing to both Penn State and Maryland.

Georgetown begins Big East play this weekend against two of its new opponents, DePaul and South Florida. On Friday afternoon the Hoyas will travel to face DePaul’s Blue Demons before moving on to Tampa, Fla., to take on the South Florida Bulls on Sunday.

Kickoff against DePaul is set for 3 p.m. on Friday in Chicago.