GU Splits Weekend Contests, Fails To Reach .500 for Season

Lucye Rafferty/The Hoya Freshman forward Cristina Araps makes contact with the ball, keeping it away from Panthers’ sophomore forward Lisa Schulte. Pitt won at N. Kehoe Friday but the Hoyas rallied Sunday to beat Providence.

Georgetown’s women’s soccer team missed an opportunity to even its record over the weekend, but after a 2-1 loss to Pittsburgh on Friday the Hoyas bounced back with a strong defensive effort on Sunday, beating Providence 1-0 in overtime.

The Hoyas, whose record now stands at 4-6-0, had hoped to sweep the two home games to reach the .500 mark for this first time this season. Georgetown has won four of its last five games.

The weekend started on a sour note for Georgetown. Although they controlled possession for much of the match, the Hoyas failed to capitalize on several scoring chances and lost a close game to Big East Mid-Atlantic Division rival Pittsburgh.

“We were overconfident,” head coach Diane Drake said. “The first half was the poorest half that we’ve ever played. For some reason we felt like we could just step on the field and win the game without showing up to play.”

Pittsburgh took the lead in the 24th minute, as Georgetown fell victim to another fluke goal. Sophomore goalkeeper Louisa Butler blocked a long shot from sophomore midfielder Erin McFarling, but in doing so deflected the ball in front of the goal. A shot from point blank hit the crossbar, but Pitt’s junior forward Cara Senger lofted the ball over Butler into the high corner of the net for a goal.

Georgetown got the equalizer early in the second period. In the 52nd minute, sophomore forward Shara McNeill beat her defender on the right side of the field. McNeill dribbled up field, then lofted a pass in front of the goal, where senior midfielder Jen Choiniere headed it in to tie the game, 1-1.

“After the goal, I really thought we would find a way to win,” Choiniere said. “There’s no way we should have lost this game.”

For about 15 minutes, Georgetown threatened to take the lead. The Hoyas came inches away from a goal in the 54th minute. Junior midfielder Nicole DePalma made a quick pass on a free kick to freshman midfielder Chrissy Skogen who then hit a curving shot from just outside the box that bounced off the right post.

Panthers goalkeeper Jamie Pelusi frustrated the Hoyas all day, making several key saves on breakaway chances. She finished with eight saves.

Pittsburgh took the lead in the 81st minute. Freshman forward Kristina Francois passed across the field to sophomore forward Lisa Schulte on the right side, and Schulte beat the defense into the box and scored into the upper left corner past a diving Butler.

With Pittsburgh pulling all its players back on defense with less than 10 minutes left in the match, Georgetown was unable to respond. The match essentially ended when Pelusi made a diving save on a hard shot by Skogen in the 89th minute.

“Final pass was very poor today, serves were right to the goalkeeper, and nothing was effective as far as reading decision and where to play the ball,” Drake said.

Georgetown rebounded to beat Providence in dramatic fashion on Sunday. After 94 minutes of scoreless play, McNeill ended the game with a golden goal in overtime. McNeill took a pass from junior forward Casey McCann and scored into the upper right hand corner for the 1-0 win.

Yet it was Georgetown’s defense that played the biggest role in the victory. Providence had three shots in the first half, but was held without a shot in the second half and managed just one in overtime. The defensive unit of senior Lauren Calone, junior Kyle Holsinger-Johnson and freshman Cristina Araps shut down the Friars and set up McNeill’s heroics.

Providence’s best chance of the game came in the 8th minute. The Friars’ junior midfielder Maura Robertson hit a hard shot toward the top of the goal, but freshman goalkeeper Erin azursky made a leaping save. Mazursky had only one other save the rest of the game, but earned her second shutout and extended her perfect record to 4-0.

Georgetown improved its record in overtime games to 1-1. The Hoyas lost to George Mason, 2-1, on Sept. 9. The win was also Georgetown’s first at home. The Hoyas were undefeated on North Kehoe last season.