GU Starts Fast, Ends Slow

The Hoyas wish last weekend’s regattas had ended sooner.

After getting off to a good start, Georgetown struggled in the final races of the Coed Atlantic Coast Championship, held by Brown University, and the Women’s Atlantic Coast Championship in Kings Point, N.Y. The Georgetown coed squad finished third out of 18 teams, while the Hoya women placed sixth out of 17.

At the Coed Atlantic Coast Championship, No. 8 Georgetown finished with 117 total points. No. 6 Dartmouth won the regatta with 73 points, while No. 17 Brown came in second with 102 points.

The event featured many of the nation’s elite teams, as 14 teams ranked among the top 20 in the latest Sailing World College Rankings competed. Georgetown finished ahead of all of the teams ranked in the top five. No. 1 Harvard placed ninth, No. 2 Boston College finished fifth and No. 3 Hobart/William Smith came in 10th. No. 4 St. Mary’s and No. 5 Roger Williams finished 12th and seventh, respectively.

Senior skipper J.B. Turney and senior crew Caroline LaMotte led the Hoyas to a first-place finish in the B Division. The pair placed in the top four in seven of the regatta’s nine races to finish with 35 total points, eight points ahead of second-place Dartmouth.

“We’re really impressed with J.B. [Turney] and Caroline [LaMotte] in the B Division,” Head Coach Mike Callahan (SFS ’97) said. “It was probably J.B. [Turney]’s best regatta in college.”

In the A division, Georgetown came in eighth place with the effort of junior skipper Chris Behm and sophomore crew Carly Chamberlain. The Hoyas finished with 82 points, while Dartmouth won the division with 30 points. After winning the third race and finishing third in the sixth race, Behm and Chamberlain placed 18th and continued on to place 15th in the regatta’s final two races.

“We didn’t do as well as we could have in the A division,” Callahan said. “Chris [Behm] and Carly [Chamberlain] had a couple of bad races, but they beat some really good people.”

Callahan said that he was pleased that the Hoyas finished ahead of all of the other teams in their conference, as this bodes well for Georgetown’s chances to qualify for the coed national championship in the spring.

At the Women’s Atlantic Coast Championship, No. 4 Georgetown finished with 228 total points to place sixth. No. 1 St. ary’s won the regatta with 157 points, while No. 2 Yale came in second with 163 points.

Nine of the top 10 teams in the latest Sailing World College Rankings competed in the regatta. The Hoyas finished ahead of No. 3 Harvard, No. 10 Dartmouth and No. 6 Charleston, which finished seventh, eighth and 10th, respectively.

Senior crew Emily Siguler and sophomore crew Brooke Crawford alternated with junior skipper Blaire Herron in the A Division, leading Georgetown to a fifth-place finish. The Hoyas placed seventh in the B Division, as sophomore skipper Emily Babbitt raced with freshman crew Alexandra Taylor and junior crew Jamie Loeks.

After 14 races, Georgetown stood in second place in the A Division and third overall.

“The last three races in each division were really bad,” Callahan said. “We had it figured out, then for whatever reason we struggled. We did really well up to race 14, but the last three races weren’t up to par.”

The weekend’s regattas brought an end to Georgetown’s fall season. The Hoyas will next compete at the Rose Bowl Regatta, which will be held Jan. 6-7 in Long Beach, Calif.