GU Steeped in Hoops Legacy

Georgetown is steeped in tradition. From 21st birthdays at Tombs to watching “The Exorcist” in Gaston Hall on Halloween to stepping around the seal, Hoyas know all about following in the footsteps of those who came before them.

The Georgetown men’s basketball program, which celebrates its 100th anniversary tomorrow, is no different than the rest of the university. Rich in both history and tradition, the Hoyas are part of one of the oldest legacies in Division I basketball.

“Just to wear the jersey that says Georgetown across the chest means a lot,” junior guard Jonathan Wallace says. “Seeing all those guys in the past who worked to get this program where it needs to be, you’ve got to pay your respect to those guys, and there’s no better way to honor them than to have a good showing on Saturday.”

That’ll be easier said than done. No. 22 Georgetown is playing host to No. 11 Marquette, and upsetting the Golden Eagles will be the biggest challenge posed to the Hoyas since facing No. 7 Pittsburgh last month.

But unlike the game against the Panthers in a rowdy Petersen Events Center, the Hoyas will have the crowd on their side tomorrow. Playing in front of what looks likely to be a sellout Verizon Center audience full of former basketball players, the Hoyas will have that extra incentive to put together their seventh straight victory.

“There’s a lot of tradition,” junior forward Jeff Green says. “But we have a game. We have to focus on the game. We can’t look too much into what other types of events are going on. We have a game to try to win against Marquette, so have to stay focused and get ready for that game.”

Other events commemorating the anniversary include the announcement of the all-century team and a gala at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel Saturday night. The all-century team, which will be revealed tomorrow, will consist of 25 players from three different eras – the Vintage Era (1907-43), the Classic Era (1943-72) and the Modern Era (1972-present) – for which fans have been voting online for months.

The timing of the 100th anniversary weekend coincides with Georgetown’s first intercollegiate contest. In that game, played on Feb. 9, 1907, Georgetown defeated the University of Virginia 22-11.

Since that first game the basketball program has grown considerably. The Hoyas won the NCAA Championship under legendary coach John Thompson in 1984 and have advanced to the national championship game four times. Overall the Hoyas have made 23 appearances in the NCAA tournament – including 10 trips to the Sweet 16 – and have also been to the NIT 10 times.

A founding member of the Big East conference, Georgetown has won six regular-season Big East crowns and six conference tournament titles. The Hoyas also have over 1,400 intercollegiate wins.

Georgetown has produced incredible individual talents, including three Hall of Fame coaches, 18 All-Americans and 51 NBA players. Illustrious alumni including Patrick Ewing (CAS’85), Alonzo ourning (CAS ’92), Dikembe Mutombo (FLL ’91) and Allen Iverson.

“I remember as a little kid watching games and I feel proud that I’m able to wear Georgetown across my chest,” junior center Roy Hibbert said. “I’m going to represent Georgetown to the best of my ability.”