GU Takes Fourth at Women’s District Regatta

Last weekend’s women’s conference championship was a tale of two divisions for No. 7 Georgetown.

The duo of sophomore skipper Blaire Herron and senior crew Kelly Lanzara took first place in the B division, scoring just 15 points over seven races. But the A-division team of senior skipper Derby Anderson and freshman crew Carly Chamberlain could not match its companion boat’s success, finishing seventh with 48 points. The Hoyas ended up finishing in fourth place overall.

“Derby didn’t have her best regatta,” Georgetown Head Coach Mike Callahan said. “The conditions exploit some of the things that Derby needs to improve on in her sailing.”

The MAISA Women’s Fall Regatta, which is held annually at SUNY-Maritime in Throggs Neck, N.Y., takes place at the convergence of the East River and Long Island Sound. Callahan said that the race is tricky because there the water has a strong current but there is not very much wind.

“It makes for interesting racing, but it doesn’t make for the most pure form of racing,” Callahan said.

The A-division team was shaky throughout the entire regatta, finishing mainly in the middle of the pack with three sixth-place finishes. They did earn second place in the last race, but by then it was too late.

The fifth race in the A division was the Hoyas’ downfall, as Anderson and Chamberlain came in second-to-last of the 16 participating teams.

“It really hurt us in the overall score,” Georgetown Head Coach Mike Callahan said. “That one bad race kind of killed us.”

The B-division sailors, meanwhile, racked up top finishes consistently. Only once did Herron and Lanzara fail to place in the top three, and they took fourth in that race.

Callahan was especially pleased with their performance because the two had never sailed together before. Lanzara had been abroad during the spring last year, when Herron was a freshman. Callahan said that Lanzara had been one of the team’s best crews before she left.

“It was exciting to put those two together for the first time,” he continued.

With 63 points, Georgetown tied with Hobart-William Smith in the overall standings, but the Hoyas dropped to fourth place because of the tiebreaker. Navy edged out St. Mary’s 52 to 54 for the top spot.

“It was a little disappointing, but I think they can rebound,” Callahan said.

The women’s team will head to the Atlantic Coast Women’s Regatta this weekend in Annapolis, Md., as the top seven teams from the MAISA Women’s Fall Regatta qualified for the event. The co-ed team, meanwhile, will participate in the Atlantic Coast Dinghy Regatta in Charleston, S.C. Callahan said that the team is looking to take home top-five finishes at both regattas, which feature teams from the three collegiate sailing divisions of the Eastern seaboard.