GU Takes Second at Cowboy Jamboree

The Georgetown women’s cross country team, competing in its third meet of the season, continued to show improvement as it earned runner-up honors at the Cowboy Jamboree, held last Saturday at Oklahoma State University.

The Hoyas, who were recently ranked 28th in the nation by the FinishLynx women’s Division I cross country poll, tallied 84 points. They finished second behind Texas Tech, who won the meet with 50 points. Texas A&M was third behind the Hoyas with a score of 106 points.

Senior Nicole Lee continued to lead the Hoyas as she was the first Hoya to finish for the second straight meet. She came across the line in a time of 17:45 to finish the 5,000-meter course in fourth place.

“Nicole has taken the leadership role this season,” said Ron Helmer, director of track and field and cross country coach. “She relates well to the team and she sets the standard of what a good performance is.”

Freshmen Maggie Infeld and Melissa Grelli were the next Hoyas to cross the line. Infeld came across the line in ninth place while Grelli finished the race in 19th. They clocked respective times of 18:10 and 18:28.

“Maggie has a great demeanor, she’s mature and she trains hard, races hard and enjoys it,” Helmer said. “She’s been training real well and a race like this shows it.”

Juniors Kelleu Otstott and Erin Henry rounded out the top five Georgetown scorers, finishing 25th and 27th with times of 18:37 and 18:47, respectively.

As the season swings into full gear, a few of the women runners have not been able to compete due to minor injuries. Two of the injured runners are sophomore Elizabeth Maloy and senior Jodee Adams-Moore, who did not race this past weekend at the Cowboy Jamboree.

“They’re not racing as of now and we’re going to gradually have them come back and hopefully in a few weeks, they can be ready for the big meets,” Helmer said.

Both the women’s and men’s team will take this weekend off. Next weekend they will travel to Indiana State to compete at the pre-National meet on Oct. 16. The pre-NCAA meet marks the beginning of the championship season. Last year the men came in fourth at the pre-NCAA meet, while the women finished seventh.

The following week the Hoyas will compete at the Big East Championships. The men’s team won the Big East meet last year, while the women took third.