GU Takes Two Titles on Opening Weekend

Georgetown opened its season in a successful fashion last weekend, taking the titles at two of its opening regattas. Two sailors were unsuccessful, however, in qualifying for the Laser District Championships at the Navy Laser Open.

The Hoyas brought home a trophy Sunday from the Riley Cup at Old Dominion, an 18-team tournament. Georgetown has been traditionally successful at the Riley Cup, winning the regatta in five of the past six years. This time, senior Derek Webster and junior Dorothee Bergin sailed their boat to first place and freshmen J.B. Turney and Emily Siguler came in third. The team tallied 88 points, 13 ahead of St. Mary’s and 21 ahead of host Old Dominion.

Junior Steve Streit and sophomores Rickie De Sole, Ed duMoulin and Julia Graham brought Georgetown another win at the Jesuit Cup at Fordham. Streit and De Sole beat all their Division A competitors with 24 points. Graham and duMoulin came in second among Division B boats behind Fordham, notching 44 points compared to the Rams’ 31. Georgetown defeated its host in addition to Providence, Marquette and Loyola. It was the Hoyas’ second victory at the Jesuit Cup in as many years. Georgetown won in 2002 at the first running of the race since 1971.

In the third regatta of the weekend, seniors Tyler Haskell and Thatcher Spring along with sophomores Jackie Schmitz and Kati Ferriss took the Hoyas to eighth place in a 24-team field at the Captain Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth. Both Division A (Haskell and Schmitz) and Division B (Spring and Ferriss) sailed well on Saturday, putting Georgetown at third overall after one day of competition. The B team was not as fortunate on the second day, as Spring and Ferriss fared poorly in a few races and increased the Hoyas’ points total to 234. Harvard (143), Washington College (170) and Dartmouth (172) finished the weekend one-two-three.

Senior Bill Jorch and freshman Langdon Mitchell represented Georgetown at the Navy Laser Open, but ended the regatta 12th and 13th overall. Only the top six finishers qualified for the Laser District Championships, though Jorch and Mitchell will have another opportunity to advance to the Districts next weekend at the Laser Qualifiers South.

“Overall, we had a good weekend,” head coach Mike Callahan said. “Jorch could have done better . our seniors didn’t sail that well [at the Captain Hurst Bowl]. But it told us how we compare to other teams.”

The Hoyas will see action again this weekend in four different regattas: the Mrs. Hurst Bowl at Dartmouth, N.H., the Freshman Groundbreaker at the Bronx, NY, the Nevins Trophy at Kings Point, N.Y. and the Ocean County College Fall Regatta at Toms River, N.J.