GU Team Joins Charity Race

For the 13th consecutive year, Georgetown will sponsor a team of students, faculty and staff to join in the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation National Race for the Cure to help raise funds for the Lombardi Cancer Center and other breast cancer research and treatment centers.

Scheduled for June 1, the annual five-kilometer walk and run event annually draws tens of thousands of participants to Washington and is traditionally the world’s largest charity race.

Team Georgetown has taken part in the race since its inception in 1989. According to Special Events Assistant for the Lombardi Cancer Center Tom Lane, the team draws about 500 people from theuniversity community each year.

He said he hopes this year’s team will draw an even larger number of Georgetown participants. “It’s a wide mix of faculty and students, and also family and friends are encouraged to sign up,” Lane said. “We’re hoping to get as many people involved as possible.”

A portion of the proceeds from the event will go to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation Research Program and at least $1 million will be used to support local research, education, screening and treatment programs in Washington, D.C., Maryland and Virginia.

“I think part of the reason it’s important [to participate] is that we do benefit, we receive funds for the Betty Lou Ourisman Breast Health Center,” Lane said, referring to the breast care clinic at Lombardi. “It’s a great way for the community to come together. Especially as a Jesuit institution, events like this are a way to give back to the community.”

Lane said the grant would help fund Lombardi’s research and health care programs and would help to educate the public about cancer treatment. “It helps increase awareness and visibility of the importance of screening and early detection.”

Team captain and Associate Director of Communications Laura Cavender said she is enthusiastic about leading Team