GU Too Tall for The Hall

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. – Not one of Georgetown’s men’s basketball players hails from New Jersey, but the Hoyas sure looked at home in the Garden State last week. Georgetown (13-5, 3-2 Big East) came away with a 74-58 victory over Seton Hall (11-7, 33) in Continental Airlines Arena Friday night to sweep a two-game road-trip up the turnpike last week.

The key to victory over the Pirates came down to rebounds. Led by the frontcourt trio of junior center Roy Hibbert and forwards junior Jeff Green and freshman DaJuan Summers, the Hoyas outrebounded the Pirates 39-11 and held Seton Hall to just four offensive rebounds. The Pirates’ four second-half rebounds and their 11 total are both all-time lows for the Big East.

“We wanted to get every rebound,” said sophomore guard Jessie Sapp, who had six rebounds on the night. “We wanted to get every offensive rebound, every defensive rebound.”

Also working in the Hoyas’ favor was their height. In its win over over Providence last Wednesday, Seton Hall lost its tallest player – 6-foot-10 senior center Grant Billmeier – to a torn ACL. The Pirates’ tallest remaining player was 6-foot-7 senior forward Stan Gaines, who stood little chance of getting up over the 7-foot-2 Hibbert, 6-foot-9 Green and 6-foot-8 Summers.

“We knew we had a bit of a height advantage, and we just focused on attacking the rim, attacking the boards on both the offensive and defensive end,” junior guard Jonathan Wallace said. “We figured if we could control the boards we could get out in transition and make some things happen.” Georgetown did get out in transition, scoring several fast-break layups without a Seton Hall defender in sight.

Wallace was the man of the night at the Meadowlands, leading all scorers with a career-high 21 points. Three other Hoyas joined him in double figures, including Hibbert – who would lead the country in field goal percentage at 70.9 if he had enough attempts to qualify – with 10 points, Sapp with 12 and Summers, who notched 17 points for the second game in a row and collected 10 rebounds for his first ever double-double.

“As with most freshmen – and our team, I can’t limit it to freshmen – as the year has gone along, he is getting a comfort level with where his shots are going to come from and a comfort level with what the coach expects from him,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said of Summers.

Green, who has been criticized at times this season for a lack of intensity, was far from timid in Friday’s bout. He had an average night offensively, with an eight-point, four-turnover performance, but he collected nine boards and had a dunk worthy of the highlight reel early in the second half. After getting heckled by the Seton Hall student section for traveling near the baseline, Green received an alley-oop pass from Sapp and slammed it into the basket with one hand, screaming at the Pirate fans in the process. Later in the second half, Green had to be held back by his teammates as he yelled at Seton Hall players, in a rare show of emotion, for intentionally fouling Summers.

With 19 points, junior swingman Brian Laing was the only Pirate in double figures. Laing, Seton Hall’s leading scorer, scored 13 of his team’s 21 first-half points, playing every minute of the half. Sophomore guard Paul Gause also had a solid game for the Pirates, scoring eight points while collecting three rebounds and five of the Pirates’ 10 steals.

“So much of [the Seton Hall pressure] is Paul Gause,” Thompson said. “That guy has just a knack for getting his hand on the ball. He had five steals, and I dare to say that he probably caused another five or six more.”

As always, turnovers were a problem for the Hoyas, with 21 on the night. The Pirates collected 20 points off of those turnovers, but Georgetown had 10 second-chance points and 22 points in the paint – plus the rebounding advantage – to offset all the turnovers on Friday night.

“You look at this and you see 21 turnovers, which is not good, and I wanted to negate that by getting every rebound,” Thompson said.

The Hoyas will have more time to work on limiting turnovers during their two-game homestand, which begins tomorrow night against DePaul (12-8, 3-3 Big East). The Blue Demons come off a 59-50 loss at home to Louisville on Saturday.

Tip-off tomorrow at Verizon Center is slated for 7:30 p.m.