GU Topples Mount With Early Lead

The Hoyas like to get on the board first.

So far this season Georgetown has scored the first goal in eight of their nine games, and in all but one of those contests the Hoyas have come away with a win.

That was the case on Wednesday when No. 5 George-town (7-2, 2-0 ECAC) racked up four early goals against longtime rival Mount St. ary’s (5-5, 4-0 MAAC) en route to a 14-10 victory.

Senior mid Brice Queener started off the scoring for the Hoyas with an unassisted goal in the sixth minute. The goal, Queener’s first of four in the game, was quickly followed by tallies from senior mids Mike Boynton and Nick Miaritis and sophomore attack Trevor Casey to give the Hoyas a 4-0 lead.

Junior mid Tilghman Herring responded for the Mount with a score just before the close of the first quarter, but the Hoyas came back with two quick goals to open the second – one each from Queener and junior mid Pete Cannon – to go up 6-1.

Mt. St. Mary’s would not go down without a fight as the ountaineers scored the next three goals to pull within two. But scores from Georgetown mids senior Mike White and freshman Scott Kahoe made sure the Mount never came too close.

Following junior attack Matt Warner’s score just before halftime, sophomore midfielder Eric Seifert opened the second half with another goal to bring Mt. St. Mary’s back within two of Georgetown, but that was as close as game would get. The Hoyas scored four of the next five goals to stretch their lead to 12-7 and put the game out of reach for the Mount.

Mt. St. Mary’s tallied three goals in the final frame, but Georgetown continued to find the back of the net to win by a final score of 14-10. The victory marked the Hoyas’ seventh consecutive win over the Mount although Mt. St. Mary’s still owns the all-time lead, 15-7.

Queener’s four goals paced Georgetown while Mt. St. ary’s was led by Seifert and Warner with three goals each. Senior mid Andy Corno won 12 faceoffs for the Hoyas and picked up 12 ground balls. Freshman goalkeeper Miles Kass – in his first start for the Blue and Gray – made 10 saves.

Overall, Georgetown outshot Mt. St. Mary’s 58-32 and picked up nearly twice as many groundballs, 52-31. Georgetown has outshot every opponent this year and leads in ground ball pickups 399-287 overall.

Tomorrow Georgetown plays host to Loyola at 1 p.m. on North Kehoe Field. The Greyhounds, whom the Hoyas have defeated in their last three meetings, are Georgetown’s oldest lacrosse rival, but tomorrow’s match will be their first as ECAC opponents.