GU Tops ‘Nova, UConn in Weekend Set

With its regular season coming to a close this week, the Georgetown men’s tennis team (9-11) refused to go down without a fight in its two home conference matches this past weekend at McDonough Outdoor Tennis Complex. The Hoyas rallied to win both meetings after trailing in each after doubles play. The women’s team (6-10) also swept the weekend, dominating Villanova and squeaking past Connecticut.

Friday afternoon, Villanova visited the Hilltop and caught a break in the men’s No. 1 doubles matchup when Georgetown junior Bryan Miller suffered an injury mid-match and was forced to retire, giving the visitors the doubles point.

In men’s singles play, multiple Georgetown players came back from deficits and led the Hoyas to victory after a loss in the No. 6 matchup. Senior Will Lowell forced and won a tiebreaker in his 6-3, 1-6, 7-6 (5) win, and sophomore Andrew Bruhn came back to win the last two sets of his 2-6, 7-5, 6-1 match after losing the first. Wins from No. 1 senior Anthony Tan (5-7, 6-3 (10-7)) and No. 3 freshman Charlie Caris (6-2, 6-2) capped the day for the Hoyas and gave them a 5-2 victory over the Wildcats.

Friday was much simpler for the Georgetown women. The Lady Hoyas took two of three doubles matches from the visitors, but they shined brightest in singles. The home team won all six of its singles matches, losing only one on the way to a 7-0 victory.

The next day, both Georgetown teams were at it again, this time against Big East foe Connecticut. Again, the men fell behind in doubles play, losing two of the three matches.

In singles play, however, No. 2 senior David Tillem tied the match with his 6-3, 6-3 victory and No. 4 Lowell put the Hoyas ahead with his 6-3, 6-4 showing. The Huskies came back to tie with a win of their own, but No. 5 Bruhn refused to fall and came back to win his pairing, 5-7, 6-2, 6-3.

Needing only one more singles winner to take the match, Georgetown looked to No. 1 Tan. The senior delivered, taking down his UConn adversary 6-3, 6-4. The Hoyas finished the day 4-3 and managed their second win in as many days.

The women also fell behind in doubles on Saturday, losing two of three matches. The Lady Hoyas fought back in their singles matches, though, taking the four points they needed for victory. No. 1 freshman Victoria Sekely (6-3, 6-1), No. 2 sophomore Lauren Greco (6-3, 6-3), and No. 6 freshman Samantha Martin (6-2, 6-2) set up No. 3 sophomore Jacquie Harrison to close it out for Georgetown with a 7-6 (3), 6-3 win.

The Georgetown men have a chance this week to bring their record to an even .500 in their final match of the regular season when they host the Navy Midshipmen this Wednesday. The women have finished a two-week homestand and travel to the University of Maryland on Wednesday. Both matches start at 2 p.m. “