GU Tops UNC After OT Loss to Princeton

So much for the wide-open wins that characterized the early part of the Hoyas’ season.

The No. 8 Georgetown women’s lacrosse team’s last two games have been settled by just one goal apiece – a 13-12 double-overtime loss to No. 3 Princeton on Wednesday followed by a 10-11 win over No. 6 UNC on Sunday.

In Wednesday’s game, senior attack Allison Chambers led all scorers with a season-high five goals. Five other Hoyas contributed the remaining seven goals to take the game into two extra periods, but Princeton held on for the win.

Each team scored once in the first three-minute overtime period, but Georgetown was unable to match Princeton in the second. The Tigers’ freshman attack Ashley Amo put up just her third goal of the season early in the period, but it was enough to do the trick.

The Hoyas had an opportunity in the waning seconds to force a third overtime when senior attack Sarah Oliphant found fellow senior attack Catherine Elbe wide open in front of the net. But Tiger senior goaltender Sarah Kolodner sacrificed her body to block the shot.

The early part of the game was a seesaw affair with both teams trading goals until Princeton took a 5-2 lead. Sophomore attack Coco Stanwick tallied a goal and senior midfielder Lauren Redler added one five minutes later to knot the game at four. Junior midfielder Paige Andrews gave the Hoyas the lead, and Elbe made it a two-goal advantage with just a minute and a half remaining in the first half, but Princeton made quick work of that lead. Tiger sophomore midfielder Kathleen Miller scored an unassisted goal with 46 seconds left in the half and followed up with a free-position goal in the last six ticks to tie the game at seven.

The second half remained much the same story. The teams traded tallies, each putting up four goals in the period to finish knotted at 11. In the first extra frame, Princeton freshman midfielder Katie Lewis-Lamonica gave the Tigers the edge with 1:15 remaining. With just 16 seconds left on the clock, Chambers scored her fifth of the game, marking the last tie of the game.

Sunday’s game was much the opposite. Georgetown held the upper hand from the start and Carolina was the team struggling just to catch up. The Hoyas took a 3-0 lead in the first 15 minutes. The Tar Heels capitalized on three free-position shots to force a 4-4 tie going into the break, but Chambers opened scoring for the Hoyas just 15 ticks into the second period.

Just 45 seconds later, Carolina evened it up again with the first of three goals from senior attack Allison Higgins. Georgetown freshman midfielder Patty Piotrowicz took a feed from Oliphant to score the first goal of her collegiate career and give the Hoyas a 6-5 edge.

Senior attack Hollis Pica capitalized on a free-position shot while Carolina sophomore midfielder Christina Juras again cut the Georgetown lead to just one goal. Georgetown then reeled off four goals in less than five minutes. Stanwick put up three of her game-high five, and Chambers added her second.

The Tar Heels answered with a string of their own – Higgins tallying her last two, Juras adding one and freshman attack eg Freshwater putting up one. The Tar Heels bumbled a chance to force overtime, turning the ball over to the Hoyas with three minutes to play. Georgetown stalled to take away a one-goal victory.

Splitting the games leaves the Hoyas at 6-2 on the season. They return home to face the Maryland Terrapins tomorrow afternoon on North Kehoe Field.

The No. 9 Terps are 7-4 this season, and the Hoyas are 2-14 in a local series that dates back to 1977. Last season the Hoyas faced the Terrapins twice, losing 8-13 in the regular season but rebounding for a 14-10 victory in the NCAA quarterfinals.

Opening draw is scheduled for 4 p.m.