GU Wins League Outright for First Time Since 1989

Jeff Green has a checklist of things he wants to accomplish as a Hoya.

Included on the list are things like record a triple-double, win the Big East tournament and win the national title.

The junior forward got to cross three things off his list when No. 9 Georgetown (23-6, 13-3 Big East) defeated Connecticut (17-13, 6-10) on Saturday, 59-46, in the Hoyas’ final home game of the season.

First, he got to check off beating UConn, the only team that Georgetown had not defeated since his arrival on the Hilltop three years ago.

“It feels great,” Green said of his Hoyas’ first victory over the Huskies since 1997. “I’ve been waiting for this since my freshman year, so it feels good to finally get it, especially on senior night.”

Second, he helped the Hoyas achieve another one of his goals – winning a Big East regular season title – which Georgetown clinched outright for the first time since 1989 when No. 20 Marquette upset No. 12 Pittsburgh Saturday night.

“It’s a great accomplishment,” Green said. “It’s just hard work from the beginning of the season, everybody putting in the work and the time and the effort to make it this far, so it’s a good accomplishment for us.”

And lastly, but possibly most importantly for the team captain, his 14 points helped the Hoyas build up a large enough lead so that he could keep his promise of getting Georgetown’s two seniors – reserve forwards Sead Dizdarevic and Kenny Izzo – into their final game at Verizon Center.

“That was one of my goals tonight,” Green said of Dizdarevic and Izzo getting to play in the final minute. “Just Kenny getting that block – that was amazing – because I was about to jump to try to contest it. But Kenny just rose up for the challenge and blocked it and that’s what got the crowd hyped, and it got a little excitement out of me.

“I wanted them to get the ball. That’s why I threw it to Sead. I thought they were going to foul, but they didn’t, and I wanted him to get to the free throw line and score. I was trying to get them the ball as much as possible in that last minute.”

With those three goals accomplished, Green is now closer to achieving at least one more of his remaining objectives: With the win over Connecticut, Georgetown will be the No. 1 seed in the Big East tournament and in good position to win its first conference tourney since 1989. The Hoyas will get a first-round bye and will play the winner of the DePaul-Villanova game on Thursday at noon in Madison Square Garden.

“It feels good to win the league,” Georgetown Head Coach John Thompson III said. “Honestly, No. 1 seed, No. 2 seed, No. 12 seed – our league is tough and so the difference between the team at the top and the teams in the middle is not a lot. Regardless that we are the No. 1 seed, I feel better saying we won the league.”

The Hoyas did win the conference – and that is what is important – but they did not do it in a particularly pretty way on Saturday. Georgetown shot just 40.7 percent on the afternoon – its worst offensive performance outside of last Monday’s abysmal 29.8 percent performance at Syracuse. The Hoyas also shot well below their season average from three-point range, hitting 29.4 percent of their treys on Saturday compared to 37.2 percent coming into the matchup with UConn.

“Down at our end I don’t think we had a good offensive day, but we found a way to stumble along, score enough points and get stops,” Thompson said.

Connecticut – who will be the 12-seed in the conference tournament with their worst league record since 1989 – had a poor day offensively as well, hitting 35.8 percent of its shots and making just one of its 10 attempts from deep. The Huskies also turned the ball over 16 times, although the Hoyas turned it over 19 times on a mistake-prone day for both teams.

“What they did is they maintained their poise,” Connecticut Head Coach Jim Calhoun said of the Hoyas. “I even hear occasionally that they look like they have a shot and they pass it up. We took shots we didn’t have, and they made sure they got the shot they wanted.”

Even with senior day, it was all about the junior class for Georgetown. Four of Georgetown’s juniors – Green, center Roy Hibbert, forward Patrick Ewing Jr. and guard Jonathan Wallace – combined for 54 of the Hoyas’ 59 points, with Hibbert leading the way with 18.

Hibbert, who picked up a season-high seven offensive rebounds on the way to his sixth double-double of the year, was more aggressive on Saturday after quiet performances in his previous four games. Matched up with someone his own size – 7-foot-3 UConn freshman center Hasheem Thabeet – Hibbert scored 11 of the Hoyas’ first 16 points and put on a clinic in the paint.

“Roy was very assertive today,” Green said. “I think he was more excited just going against somebody who was taller than him and just Roy having the excitement to go out there. He really put the team on his back today.”

Ewing tied his career-high with 12 points on the afternoon, and Wallace posted 10, while snagging a career-high eight rebounds.

“It allows the team to be more effective, knowing that guys can come in at any time and step up and have a performance like that,” Wallace said of Ewing’s offensive contribution. “Pat’s always the energy guy and we’ve got other guys on the team just like that and coming in, being kind of a spark, get us over the hump and get us going.”

The Huskies were paced by sophomore forward Jeff Adrien, who had 14 points and nine rebounds. No other UConn player scored in double digits as the Huskies were held to their lowest point total since a 46-42 win over Villanova during the 2001-02 season.

Despite the offensive woes for both teams on Saturday, the game was a close one for the first half. Georgetown led by four, 30-26, at halftime, but Connecticut had led much of the first half as Adrien and Hibbert seemed to be the only players on the floor who could find the bottom of the net.

But out of the break, the Hoyas had a renewed focus, going on a 15-1 run over the first six minutes of the second half to put the Huskies away and seal their Big East crown.

“In the second half, the first seven minutes were just a nightmare,” Calhoun said. “We buried ourselves, and quite frankly, we never came back.”