GU Wins Two Titles at Penn Relays

Great things were expected of the Georgetown track and field team as it embarked on its journey to Philadelphia last Thursday to compete in the prestigious Penn Relays. The Hoyas surpassed the already-high expectations as they turned in a slew of impressive performances.

This Hoya success was led by the championship win of junior Nicole Lee in the College Women’s 10,000m Championship run and the men’s Championship of America 3,200m relay victory.

The men’s championship 3,200m relay stands as one of the most coveted victories at the Penn Relays. Entering the race as underdogs, the Hoyas emerged from the shadows of the nation’s most competitive collegiate teams to capture the win. The relay team was composed of seniors Ezra Richards, Ali Najjar, Jesse O’Connell and sophomore Chris Lukezic, who combined for a time of 7:13.75. This stands as the second best time in Georgetown history, as well as the seventh best collegiate time in history. It was also the sixth-fastest time ever run at the Penn Relays.

“These four guys just went out there and did what they had to do to win,” Director of Track and Field Ron Helmer said.

Lee, who has battled nagging injuries for the better part of the indoor season, made her return a success as she ran away from the field in the 10,000m and captured the gold medal in 34:04.58.

Another top women’s finish came in the distance medley relay where the team captured runner-up honors in the championship race as they finished behind Tennessee. The team was made up of seniors Colleen Kelly, Monica Hargrove, Maura McCusker and Treniere Clement for a combined time of 11:03.76.

The Hoyas also took fourth place in the women’s 6,000m Championship of America relay. Stanford won in 17:26.88, while Providence came in second in 17:34.06. North Carolina earned third place in 17:37.23 and Georgetown was fourth in 17:38.30. Seniors Amanda Pape, Clement, Kelly and sophomore Sabine Knothe participated in the event.

Another impressive Hoya relay displayed its talents in the women’s 3,200m, which also earned fourth place in the Championship of America race. The relay team consisted of Knothe, cCusker, junior Kelley Otstott and Clement. The winning time of 8:21.13 belonged to Tennessee, while the Hoyas were fourth in 8:34.14.

“Treniere had a very successful weekend running on those three relays. She split a 2:04 in the 800[m] and 4:14 for her 1,500m, which were both exceptional times,” Helmer said. “Overall she had a quietly spectacular weekend.”

The men were equally impressive in their relays, capturing the runner-up position in the DMR Championship of America race. Arkansas won in 9:33.74, followed closely by the Hoyas in 9:34.61. O’Connell, sophomore Chris Bonner, Najjar and Lukezic ran the legs for the Hoyas. The Hoyas’ were equally successful at the 6,400m Championship of America relay event. Junior Tommy Manning, senior Dan Tebbano and freshmen Brian Dalpiaz and Matt Debole ran legs on Georgetown’s team. Arkansas won the race in 16:29.74, while the Hoyas finished in ninth place with a time of 16:41.55.

After their successful showing at the Penn Relays, the Hoyas are prepared for next week’s Big East championships, Helmer said.

“I’m excited for the Big East champs to see where many of the relay legs can fall in the individuals and grab some important points,” he added.