GU’s Two-Sport Stud

No, Kenny Mitchell does not have an identical twin on campus. The blur in blue and gray you saw return a kickoff 68 yards on the ulti-Sport Facility against Marist this fall is the same fast flash now demolishing the record books on the Hoya track team.

The two-sport star has broken the school record in the 60-meter dash twice in as many weeks – no small feat considering Georgetown leads the Big East Conference with 11 team championships – and he is convinced history will repeat itself a third time this weekend at the Giegengack Invitational in New Haven.

“I’m confident I’ll break it again,” itchell says. “I want to qualify for nationals and break the Big East record.”

To earn a ticket to Fayetteville, Ark., for the national meet, itchell must shave another .40 seconds off his top time. The conference record, set by Terrell Walden of Miami in 2004, stands at 6.76 seconds.

His goal may seem lofty, but no task is too tall for this quicksilver sophomore from Atlanta, who blazed a 6.80 last Saturday on his way to a fourth-place finish at the Penn State National Invitational. In light of the strides he has made in just two weeks, it is not inconceivable that come March 9, Mitchell may lace up his spikes at Randall Tyson Track Center as the Big East record-holder in the 60m.

Thanks to a few tweaks in his fluid motion, Mitchell shattered the Georgetown mark in State College, Pa., at the Penn State Open on Jan. 20 with a time of 6.82.

“It was exciting,” Mitchell says of his performance, which earned him a third-place finish overall. “I was at a point where my speed wasn’t increasing anymore, so [Assistant Track Coach Scott McCleod] and I went over my technique and form and I dropped my time.”

Mitchell was so energized that he promptly lined up in the blocks the next week and incinerated the record again.

“The second time I ran, I was pretty sure I was going to break it again,” Mitchell says. “I was confident in my running style.”

Mitchell has always carried himself with a cocksure swagger to match his expeditious gait. Back home in Atlanta, he was a three-time state champion on the Westlake High School 4x100m relay team, an all-State honorable mention as receiver for the Lions football team and president of his school’s National Honor Society chapter. In his first game as a freshman wide receiver for the Hoyas in 2005, Mitchell zipped past the entire Bucknell defense for a 45-yard touchdown pass.

This season, he was third in the Patriot League in all-purpose yardage. In addition to smashing the 60m record, Mitchell placed fourth in the 200m last Saturday, matching his season best with a time of 21.70. Given his lengthy list of accolades, it is no surprise Mitchell set his sights so high.

“One time in high school, I got clocked at 4.1 in the 40,” the 5-foot-11 speedster says before breaking into a soft chuckle. “But the guys with the timers, I think they were freshmen, so they may have been trying to make me feel good.”

Nothing seems to comfort Mitchell more than the round-the-clock routine of training. For the multitalented Mitchell, there is no off-season. While the rest of the sprinters are completing their track weight workout, Mitchell doubles his fun by finishing the heavier football lifts. And, on those days when the football team has evening meetings, he spends over half his day at McDonough Gymnasium, working out with the track team from 1 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. before hustling over to listen in on Football Head Coach Kevin Kelly’s words of wisdom.

With indoor season in full stride, Mitchell shifted his focus to the track, but he expects to juggle both sports full-time when spring workouts commence on the gridiron later in the semester.

“I’m always thinking about football,” says itchell, who is expected to be a formidable force in Kelly’s 2007 offense. “I know from being at school August through July, doing both track and football, I don’t have a lot of time to chill. Those demands can be pretty stressful.”

Asked if the pressure helps propel him down the track so quickly, Mitchell says with a laugh, “Yeah, I guess that’s how I do it.”