GUSA Again Promises One Card Debut in Fall

Graphic By Ruthie Braunstein The One Card would replace all of these cards with one nulti-purpose card for all university services. The all-inclusive and oft-delayed One Card, which would combine Munch oney, laundry, photocopy, debit, calling card and ID services, could be implemented by the fall 2001 semester, according to GUSA’s Chief Advisor for External Affairs Eric Rivers (COL ’02).

The One Card initiative, which has been a GUSA project for the past five years, was scheduled to be implemented last fall, but administrative holdups delayed the card’s release. Since the card integrates the services of many departments, Rivers said that it has been difficult to obtain everyone’s support.

“Each department would lose some money under the card,” he said.

Presently, university services such as the library and the Department of Public Safety charge students a fee for lost or stolen cards. Under the One Card, however, students could simply deactivate a lost or stolen card by contacting a 24-hour office either by phone or online.

“It would work just like a credit card,” Rivers said.

Implementation of the multi-million dollar project, which has required approval from University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., and the board of directors, will begin this summer.

According to Margie Bryant, the associate vice president of Auxiliary Services, installing the special equipment to scan the cards will be a time-consuming technical process.

“We have ordered the server . but it’s a big project,” she said. “We have a lot of pieces to put together.”

Since the Law Center is the smallest of the university’s campuses, Bryant said that the card would be put into practice there first. Depending on the success of the project there, implementation of the card will follow on the main campus, she said. For now at least, it is uncertain as to when the One Card will be entirely integrated into the university.

Previously, One Card supporters have cited difficulties in coordinating efforts various aspects of the university. According to Bryant, nine local restaurants currently provide their services on Munch Money. The One Card would not only attempt to include more restaurants. Bryant said that many local vendors have already shown enthusiasm about integrating their services onto the One Card.

Students could also potentially vote in GUSA elections using the card, Bryant added, among other new initiatives.

According to Rivers, Georgetown is at least 10 years behind most other universities as far as an all-inclusive card goes.

While Bryant was equally eager for the conclusion of the project, she emphasized the importance of thoroughly completing the initiative. She said it would be better to take a long time installing the new equipment over the summer than to rush through the process in order to satisfy a deadline.

“We’re just trying to get it done and done right,” she said.

Yeatman supported the card primarily for its added convenience and the ability to maintain up-to-date account records.

Originally, the One Card was scheduled to go into effect in fall 2000. However, a series of administrative delays pushed back its release. When the housing crunch hit, One Card became a delayed priority for Auxiliary Services, according to Bryant. In addition, the administration cited difficulty coordinating all of the organizations necessary to implement the card such as the Department of Public Safety, Marriott Food Services and the campus libraries.