GUSA Election Preview

Calen Angert and Jason KlugerCalen Angert (MSB ’11)

I am currently a sophomore in the MSB. I have served both as a GUSA senator and as secretary of student life on the GUSA executive branch. I helped organize and implement many of the GUSA- sponsored events this past year, including Opera in the Outfield and the Britto presentation. As for student safety, I also currently sit on the Student Safety Advisory Board, helping to address safety-related issues across campus.

Jason Kluger (MSB ’11)

I am a sophomore in the MSB from Warren, N.J. This past year, I served on GUSA’s executive board as the director of advertising. I worked on GUSA-sponsored events including “May the Best Man Win” and the Energia lecture. In addition, I organized the Starbucks giveaways as well as the Free Ben & Jerry’s Day.

Platform

1. Career Center Reform

This would include manda-

tory career counseling for juniors and seniors. We would also attempt to bridge the gap between alumni and current students, thus easing the difficulty of finding connections in the real world. We also want to make Career Center programming more accessible to athletes, who are often excluded from daytime programming because of practices or games.

2. Student Safety

We want to create a program where students replace DPS as SafeRides drivers – this would make the SafeRides service cheaper for the university, creating funds to expand hours of operation. We also want to reduce severity of new Metro noise violation law.

3. Student and Intellectual Life

We hope to increase and deepen the co-sponsorship of activities between GUSA and SAC groups. We would also work through the existing Access to Benefits structure to provide funding to student groups totaling $30,000.

Brock Magruder and Brian Litwak

Brock Magruder (COL ’10)

I am a 21-year-old junior in the College from Orlando, Fla. I’ve played rugby for two years at Georgetown and am applying to law schools next semester.

Brian Litwak (MSB ’10)

I am a 21-year-old junior in the MSB from New Bern, N.C. I have played rugby at Georgetown for three years, am doing Army OCS [Officer Candidate School]this summer and plan to join after graduation.

Platform

1. Administrative Accountability

We seek to make the administration more accountable for the decisions it makes that affect all students and make them more responsive to student dissent and complaints.

2. An overhaul of the Alcohol and Disciplinary policies

Briefly, the alcohol policy is unsafe and counterproductive. Resident advisers and hall directors are forced to uphold rules that the majority of students don’t believe do anything productive. Similarly, Class A violations – such as noise violations – are keeping students from experiencing some of Georgetown’s best opportunities, like studying abroad. Overall, the alcohol and disciplinary policies either push students further and further off campus or encourage the consumption of hard alcohol.

3. Reallocation of Event Funds

We oppose the massive amount of funds that are spent on events and programs that only a small group of students attend. We would like to see a reallocation of funds to support clubs and facilities that benefit the greatest number of students – for example, the refurbishment of Yates.

Peter Dagher and Elias Ibrahim

Peter Dagher (COL ’10)

I am currently a junior in the MSB working toward a double major in Finance and International Business. During my time there, I became the president of the Communications Club, German Club and Hospital Volunteers. Since coming to Georgetown, I have been actively involved with the International Conservation Caucus Foundation, a nearby nonprofit in D.C. focused on preserving the earth’s wildlife and resources.

Elias Ibrahim (MSB ’10)

I was born and raised in Saudi Arabia on an international compound, but am originally from Jordan. I am currently a junior in the McDonough School of Business majoring in Finance and International Business. And, I recently returned from a semester abroad in Barcelona.

Platform

1. Book Sharing Program

We want to cooperate with the Office of the University Registrar to provide the e-mails of students entering a class in the following semester to the students currently enrolled in a particular class.

2. Re-route and streamline SafeRides

We want to improve coverage offered by the SafeRides shuttles to reduce wait times – at times over 50 minutes on popular nights – which force students to walk back. We want to provide more availability throughout the week, not just limited to Saturday and Sunday.

3. Improved Liaison with Academic Staff

Creation of a meeting day between academic advisers – the professor you chose when you declare your major – to explore career opportunities and post-college suggestions. We also want to promote the involvement of Jesuits and chaplains-in-residence for spiritual guidance.

Joe McGroarty and Dimitrios Koutsoukos

Joe McGroarty (COL ’10)

I am a junior in the College majoring in Government and Economics. On campus, I have worked for the Department of Public Safety as a SafeRides driver and a student guard officer. I enjoy playing basketball at Yates, checking out the sounds of the a cappella groups, hanging out and having fun.

Dimitrios Koutsoukos (SFS ’10)

I am a junior from Athens, Greece, majoring in International Economics in the School of Foreign Service. At Georgetown, I’ve been involved in the Georgetown University Student Investment Fund and the GUSA Summer Fellows Program. In my spare time I enjoy playing tennis, the piano and the guitar.

Platform

1. Increasing Student Awareness

We want to empower the student body to make changes by getting answers to their questions from the appropriate administrators. We will solicit questions from the student body through any means (Facebook, mailboxes, etc.) and use the position as a way to take the questions to the appropriate administrators.

2. Continuity in GUSA

We feel like a huge problem with GUSA is the lack of continuity between administrations and we would like to see the creation of a transition document that details the good programs and policies and major issues and problems addressed by past executives.

3. Association of Student Body Presidents

We want to create an association of student body presidents from universities all over the country, in order to gain from their knowledge of good programs and policies that work at other institutions.

Sean Hayes and Andrew Madorsky

Sean Hayes (MSB ’10)

I am part of the MSB Academic Council and was chosen by the deans and faculty of the business school to represent the student voice as a part of the task force. The main reason I am running for GUSA president is because of this love for Georgetown, which is evident in the Georgetown “G” I have tattooed on my back.

Andrew Madorsky (MSB ’10)

I was born and raised in St. Petersburg, Russia, but now call Lancaster, Pa., home. I am very active on campus as a member of the MSB Executive Committee and hold executive positions in the Accounting Society and the Financial Management Association.

Platform

1. The Career Center Focus

It seems that our “school-wide” career center really only caters to the needs of MSB finance and accounting students. We would work to restructure the Career Center by petitioning it to establish new relationships with companies and networks outside the finance world.

2. Mentor Programs

We would set up a program for students interested in being linked with alumni in order to build relationships, network, seek advice with career help and develop a better understanding of what life after graduation entails from the perspective of a person who was in your same shoes a few years back.

3. A greener campus with more efficient energy consumption

Georgetown currently uses 120-watt light bulbs in its dorm rooms, apartments and classrooms. Five-watt light bulbs give off the same amount of light, save $44 in energy per light per year and cost the same as 120 watt bulbs – why are we not using these? In hopes of having a greener campus, we propose that there be recycling bins next to every trash can, and vice-versa.

Josh Mogil and Lauren Klein

Josh Mogil (SFS ’11)

I am in the SFS Class of 2011 and am from Great Neck, N.Y. I am currently the GUSA senator for Village B and serve on the SFS Academic Council. I am also a triplet and a huge Harry Potter fan. I am a Democrat and a strong environmentalist.

Lauren Klein (MSB ’11)

I am in the MSB Class of 2011 and am from Brookfield, Wis. I currently work at Vital Vittles and am part of the Undergraduate Marketing Association. Though not a triplet like Josh, I am a twin and love to play sports. I love Georgetown, and I know Josh and I will make a difference on this campus.

Platform

1. “Yourtown”

Our theme of “Yourtown” means a number of things, but most importantly, we want to help the students foster a vibrant on-campus community while making this experience unique to every student here. We plan on making this your town by making the funding boards more transparent, by creating a club outreach committee and by making all our meetings open to the public.

2. Changing Meal Plan Options

The money you spent on each extra meal is kept by the university. We feel that you are owed this money back either as Flex Dollars, guest passes and/or a refund.

3. More Wireless Hotspots

We plan on providing residences and classrooms with Wi-Fi.

Jeff Lamb and Molly Breen

Jeff Lamb (MSB ’10)

I am a junior Finance major in the MSB. Prior to traveling abroad to Austria for a month this past summer, I worked at a solar energy company in Maryland. I also got a job in the president’s office here at Georgetown, where I worked 12 to 15 hours a week. I am also the chief operating officer for the Georgetown University Student Investment Fund.

olly Breen (MSB ’11)

I am a sophomore in the MSB and live in LXR Hall. This fall I started Party For A Cause, an organization that seeks to empower and encourage college students to participate in and create events that raise money and awareness for any charitable cause. In addition to PFC, I sit on the GUSA Summer Fellows Executive Board.

Platform

1. Campus Safety

The safe walks program would be a student-run and -operated program and would take advantage of student willingness to improve safety around campus via a student-to-student escort program.

2. Noise Violations

This semi-new 61D noise violation, voted on by the Citizens Association of Georgetown, makes it possible for you to receive a misdemeanor and a $300 fine if the noise level of your party is over 61 decibels. We plan to work with the Citizens Association and local businesses to reduce the severity of noise violation penalties in the Georgetown area.

3. Cross-School Minors

We believe that students at Georgetown should be able to cross-minor between the College, SFS and MSB. This is a part of our development as students, and Georgetown should recognize that its students have a broad range of academic pursuits.

Cory Perkins and James O’Brien

Cory Perkins (SFS ’10)

At Georgetown I study in the School of Foreign Service. I’m a Culture and Politics major with a concentration in development, specifically in Sub-Saharan Africa. This led me to study abroad in Cape Town, South Africa last semester. Also at Georgetown, I’ve played on the club squash team and am currently on the board of Party For A Cause.

James O’Brien (MSB ’10)

I grew up in Westchester, N.Y. and went to high school at the Brunswick School in Connecticut. I am studying Finance in the MSB and played on the Georgetown football team during my first year at Georgetown.

Platform

1. Enhance Campus Safety

2. Enhance Student’s Financial Security

3. Transparency with the Administration

We want to empower students and provide venues through which they can participate and affect this change.

We have pragmatic goals that we both feel confident about achieving during the next year if we are given the chance.