GUSA Elections Go Awry

Tuesday’s elections for the GUSA Assembly were plagued by allegations of misconduct and multiple disqualifications, and the final results remain disputed.

Khalil Hibri (MSB ’07), Julia de Araujo (SFS ’07) and Salik Ishtiaq (SFS ’07) were disqualified by the Election Commission for soliciting support through an e-mail message in violation of campaign bylaws. Hibri has filed an appeal of the disqualification that is still pending.

The disqualifications make incumbent Ed Duffy (SFS ’07) the only known representative-elect to next year’s junior class delegation. The only other candidate, Diana Watral (COL ’07), dropped out of the race shortly before the election.

The remaining three seats are expected to be filled by the top three write-in candidates willing to serve. The Election Commission has not yet released the names of these candidates or any of the numerical results of the election, though the deadline set in the bylaws for this information to be released has passed.

The Class of 2008 reelected incumbent representative Twister urchison (SFS ’08) to his assembly seat. Hammad Hammad (SFS ’08), Charlie Harrington (COL ’08) and Charles Philipp (COL ’08) were also elected.

In the Class of 2006, incumbent Kah Yee Teh (SFS ’06), Sharon Lynett (COL ’06) and Ali Jamshidi (COL ’06) were the only candidates and won assembly seats by default. Katherine Ross (COL ’06) won the write-in vote for the fourth seat, and is expected to accept the position.

Hibri, de Araujo and Ishtiaq were running as a combined ticket as representatives of the Georgetown Social Democrats. Hibri maintains that he never signed a pledge to uphold the bylaws, and thus cannot be held accountable for the e-mail. Members of GUSA say that defense is unlikely to prevail.

“Ignorance isn’t a defense,” senior representative Sam Hill (SFS ’05) said.

Though both other classes elected full delegations to next year’s assembly, the results were not without controversy. In the Class of 2008, Philipp was disqualified shortly before the election because one of his quarter sheets was posted in New South. Philipp appealed the decision and the disqualification was overturned before the results were announced.

The problems that afflicted Tuesday’s elections will likely draw renewed attention to GUSA’s election bylaws and their effectiveness. Philipp has already said he has plans to reform the bylaws to create a tiered system of offenses so that disqualifications are not automatically given to one-time offenders.

In spite of the controversy, newly elected assembly members expressed satisfaction after the announcement of the results.

“I’m very happy to be elected,” Philipp said. He said that he hoped to change what he said was GUSA’s negative reputation on campus during his term.