GUSA Endorses Student Bill of Rights

ON CAMPUS IN BRIEF GUSA Endorses Student Bill of Rights By Arianne Aryanpur Hoya Staff Writer

The GUSA unanimously passed the Student Bill of Rights written by Advisory Neighborhood Commission 2E Commissioner Justin Wagner (COL ’03) at Tuesday’s meeting.

The bill, according to its proponents, is a positive affirmation of student rights intended to open the door for future discussion regarding the reality of student discrimination. It was drafted in response to a recent controversial ruling by the Board of Zoning Adjustment on the university’s 10-year plan that opponents felt infringes on student rights. The ruling requires that Georgetown students make parts of their academic and disciplinary records available to officials and parents. It also requires the university report housing and motor vehicle violations by students to agencies and area residents for sanctions.

“It is important to demonstrate that as residents in D.C., we seriously don’t want to be discriminated against solely based on our status as students,” GUSA Vice-President Brian Walsh (COL ’02) said.

Walsh added that GUSA’s passage of the resolution is a key step in the process of reversing student discrimination. “It is important because we are the student voice and as an organization we are called to defend student rights,” he said.

The ANC demonstrated unanimous support for the bill at its Oct. 2 meeting.

At last night’s D.C. Metro University Student Alliance meeting Walsh and GUSA President Ryan DuBose (COL ’03) presented the bill to representatives from area universities, encouraging them to see the merits of the resolution, DuBose said.