GUSA Funding Board Meets

Representatives from various student organizations met yesterday to discuss plans for allocation of the recently approved student activities fee.

Half of next year’s student activities fee will be set aside for the endowment fund, while the other half, or approximately $150,000, will be divided among the organizations in attendance at yesterday’s meeting. This money will be added to their current funding allocations.

In addition, three percent of the funds raised will be placed in a reserve fund to provide contingency finances for special circumstances, such as a group that spends more than its allocated budget.

GUSA President Tawan Davis (COL ’01) presided over the meeting as chair, and Vice President for Student Affairs Juan C. Gonzalez was also present. The chairs of each of the seven funding boards along with InterHall were given the opportunity to make presentations based on their projected budgetary needs for next year. GERMS and Hoya Blue made their presentations in a meeting Wednesday.

Afterward, all those present were given time to ask informational questions. The board will likely meet for a final vote next week.

Groups who were represented at the GUSA Funding Board included the Performing Arts Advisory Council, Volunteer and Public Services, the Georgetown Programming Board, the Media Board, the Advisory Board for Club Sports, the Student Activities Commission and GUSA itself. There were also representatives present from organizations not currently part of the funding board hoping to receive additional money including InterHall, GERMS and Hoya Blue.

The funds will be allocated on the basis of a series of guidelines approved at Wednesday’s meeting. These criteria include benefits to the on-campus university community, benefits to students participating in off-campus activities and a record of efficient expenditure of funds. The board will also take into account the possibility for new programming, the availability of alternative revenue sources, use of the current year’s capital improvement funds, and whether funding is adequate to meet current programming needs.

Gonzalez said that he was impressed with the progress made in the meeting, particularly with the students’ willingness to listen to their peers’ budgetary concerns.

“I’m loving this discussion. There is just so much room for collaboration and getting to know each other,” he said. “The more integrated and the more collaborative we are, the higher the likelihood that we’re going to be much more efficient and effective.”

Gonzalez also reminded the board that funding will be phased in progressively over the next three years, and not to be overeager for a lot of money right away. He also noted moreover, that the opportunity for overlap among budgets will allow groups to save money.

Davis was optimistic about the tone of the deliberations.

“I’m very pleased with how professional everyone is being and how fair-minded everyone is being,” he commented.

The student activities fee and the endowment fund were approved by GUSA in late January and were voted into effect by a student referendum Feb. 2. Under the proposal, funding for student groups will be augmented by an annual tuition increase of $50 per student per semester for three years. Additional proceeds will be made available through alumni donations, and GUSA is also asking the university to set aside $3 million of the $1 billion Third Century Campaign for student activities.

GUSA also hopes to decrease the $50 activities fee over time as the endowment grows.

The funding board will meet at least one more time for further deliberations and a final vote. Davis urged each chairperson to go over their funding request and attempt to eliminate unnecessary costs. They will also study each other’s proposals and make suggestions for cuts and possible collaboration. After these discussions, members of the seven boards will vote to divide the fee among themselves.

The board plans to reconvene Monday and Wednesday evenings of next week to continue negotiations.